Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CDC Klinki Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Darrel
    Super pics.
    If you take another sets of pictures, I want to ask you to take a photo from below the horizon. That way we can see reflection or mirror effect of the subsurface part of the fly against the top of the water.
    This factor is a very important factor with a fly.
    Discussions with flyfishers have argued that is one of the reasons why the Klinkhamer is so effective.
    The reflection also have a "magnifying" effect.
    All of above adds to the trigger effect for taking the fly.

Korrie
    Great idea!!

D, Ed showed me that little box Neil Hodges made for him for this purpose. Some clear perspex/glass with a 45° mirror inside. You must have seen it??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario
    I regulary fish down stream nymphing.
    One of the techinques I have employed is a bead of various sizes depending on the water flow and laminar flows. ( doing this in broken water is a completely different set of techniques)
    Behind this bead I attacha soft hackle fly. Between 40 cm and 1 meter depending how much I want to play.(have tried various colors)
    The bead should be only about dip about 1 to 2 cm below water surface. You can control this depth depending on the flow, with the bead size and the height of your rod. The soft hackle ends up at a maximum of 2cm below surface
    The takes have been nothing of spectacular at times.
    I am of the firm opinion that the reflection and magnification of the soft hackle in the surface film, coupled with color gives the fish the strike zone.

The agressive takes, at times, on a #14 hook will surprise even the most experienced fly fisher.

Try it, you will enjoy it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Nice work Darryl

Pierre cant we move all these step by step tying instructions to their own topic/group/heading ?
    Thanks John. Agreed, Grant's index need to become a "sticky" so that it remains at the top of the Flytying section. Please Pierre.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Darrel
    Super pics.
    If you take another sets of pictures, I want to ask you to take a photo from below the horizon. That way we can see reflection or mirror effect of the subsurface part of the fly against the top of the water.
    This factor is a very important factor with a fly.
    Discussions with flyfishers have argued that is one of the reasons why the Klinkhamer is so effective.
    The reflection also have a "magnifying" effect.
    All of above adds to the trigger effect for taking the fly.

Korrie
    Thanks Konnie,

Need a bit of extra equipment for those pics but it's on my list of things to do.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Great idea!!

D, Ed showed me that little box Neil Hodges made for him for this purpose. Some clear perspex/glass with a 45° mirror inside. You must have seen it??
    Hi Mario,

Ja, I liked it so much I took it home with me when I left Basie Had to send it back up to Ed with Eben for the Bell's. It's made by C&F design - I will either buy one or make myself one.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Mario,

Ja, I liked it so much I took it home with me when I left Basie Had to send it back up to Ed with Eben for the Bell's. It's made by C&F design - I will either buy one or make myself one.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Hi Darryl
    Give me a piece of mirror and I can make you a glass one.
    Wont be pretty, but it will work.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Hi Darryl
    Give me a piece of mirror and I can make you a glass one.
    Wont be pretty, but it will work.
    Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for the offer. If I don't come right I will take you up on it. I tried to get you on Friday but you had obviously left early - thanks very much for the watch - it arrived on Friday.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Nice pattern!!!!

Pink is an awesome colour for indicator posts....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Whom of you tyers use embroidery thread for a post instead of the "norm"?
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 21-04-08 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Whom of you tyers use thread for a post instead of the "norm"?
    Gerrit, what would the purpose be? The post does 2 things, hold the hackle material, and acts as a sighter. The 2nd being more important imho.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast