Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CDC Klinki Step by Step

Default CDC Klinki Step by Step

A slightly different tie to Liam's great pattern. I think I lot of us have been experimenting with and fishing similar flies - perhaps just tied differently. I know that Grant also ties a nice CDC Klinki.

Hook: Hanak H400BL Size 14 Jig Hook or other emerger hook
    Thread: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 (Colour to match body)
    Body: Dry Fly Dubbing (Colour of choice)
    Thorax: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)
    Rib: Sparkle Organza or Thin Silver Wire
    Hackle: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)

Step 1
    Position hook in vise as shown

Step 2
    Dress hook to bend

Step 3
    Tie in foam post

Step 4
    Tie in sparkle organza or thin silver wire and run thread around bend of hook.

Step 5
    Lightly dub tapered body to post

Step 6
    Rib in opposite direction with organza/wire, trim excess and tie off.

Step 7
    Hold CDC feather by tip and stroke the barbs until they are 90 degrees to the shank. Place in clamp as shown and trim off the stalk.

Step 8
    Spin thread anti-clockwise and then run your nail down the thread (close to the fly) to flatten it. Split thread using a bodkin or embroidery needle.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Step 9
    Place CDC barbs inside the thread loop and pull down on bobbin gently before releasing clamp to lock feathers in place. Spin bobbin gently in a clock-wise direction and once it has rotated a couple of times you can spin it hard.

Step 10
    Wrap the dubbing loop around the foam post as you would with hackle. Don't worry too much about trapping some of the barbs as these will form a nice buggy thorax. Complete the fly with a couple of half-hitches and trim the post short.

Side View

Top View

Bottom View

Fly Floating
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Lovely Daryll, absolutely marvelous. Your "step by step posts are really refreshing, and have added some great value to my tying abilities. Keep them comming. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Lovely Daryll, absolutely marvelous. Your "step by step posts are really refreshing, and have added some great value to my tying abilities. Keep them comming. Thanks
    Thanks Andrea, when are we going to see some of your patterns ?

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Well done and ta for the pics. Where do u get your hooks from?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Well done and ta for the pics. Where do u get your hooks from?
    Hi Gerrit, I got them from Ed Herbst who I think in turn got them from Korrie.

Rgds,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Thanks Andrea, when are we going to see some of your patterns ?
    Daryll, I would like to post some patterns, but firstly, My flies would look stupid compared to yours, but I am working on afew, secondly, my photography of flies is an embarrasment, this also needs to be worked on.
    Anyway, mybe soon.

Thank you for the 'in the water' pic. Since I have never fished with dries before, I was wondering how it would look like floating and then I saw the pic
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Nice work Darryl

Pierre cant we move all these step by step tying instructions to their own topic/group/heading ?

Hi Darrel
    Super pics.
    If you take another sets of pictures, I want to ask you to take a photo from below the horizon. That way we can see reflection or mirror effect of the subsurface part of the fly against the top of the water.
    This factor is a very important factor with a fly.
    Discussions with flyfishers have argued that is one of the reasons why the Klinkhamer is so effective.
    The reflection also have a "magnifying" effect.
    All of above adds to the trigger effect for taking the fly.

Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast