Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Epoxies, some questions ...

According to my local chemical supplier of varnishes and thinners etc.
    The varnish with UV protectors are all gloss varnishes.

Apparently a matt or satin varnish is not UV resistant etc.

Not sure how it works.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Exactly...24 coats? No man...that's just a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Exactly...24 coats? No man...that's just a waste of time.
    Jip, but that's the only downside I can see with it.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Jip, but that's the only downside I can see with it.
    There is no downside to rod finishes like flex-coat, Threadmaster, etc either. Will not yellow, levels very nicely, cures in 24 hours and is ready to fish 7 days later...and with high build it only takes one coat.

Plus, if you do it properly, you have no bubbles, good leveling, good cure, the lot. End result, great looking rod, and the epoxy will last a lifetime. So why go screw around with 24 coats? I don't see the point...and definitely no big advantages over rod finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There is no downside to rod finishes like flex-coat, Threadmaster, etc either. Will not yellow, levels very nicely, cures in 24 hours and is ready to fish 7 days later...and with high build it only takes one coat.

Plus, if you do it properly, you have no bubbles, good leveling, good cure, the lot. End result, great looking rod, and the epoxy will last a lifetime. So why go screw around with 24 coats? I don't see the point...and definitely no big advantages over rod finish.
    Did not say there was a downside to the others. Just would like to try the varnishes and 1-part coatings. Also, the varnishes would give me the time between coats to play games like these ...

http://www.weizter.org/Arcade/games/Mob-Pay-Back

Finish it under 30 minutes and let me know
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Howzit guys. I went to go pick up some flex coat high build at a local tackle dealer in the week and just had a chance to try some on a test wrap. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! This stuff is so awesome it should be illegal or be sold by the gram. I am no expert and do not have a lot to compare it to except the rubbish standard epoxies that i have been messing with for the past couple of weeks....and swambos clear nail polish. This stuff has got a lovely flow to it. It has a decdent pot life and once it is applied to the wraps can be leveled out after a few mins in-case of imperfections. I would still like to give nova floor varnish and various others a try one day to to see how it works. But for now...Flex coat is the shiznit Sorry I ever doubted you guys Will post picks of the stealth revamp the minute I can find the color thread I am looking for.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5