Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CDC Parachute Mayfly Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Exactly my thinking,how does light from all sides reflect brown?Maybe yellow
    The point is that it would reflect, no matter the water colour or the reflection colour. Reflection from a fly or a natural would look the same in the same water, not so?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Mooi fliegie Mr. Lampert! One question....and I want you to answer this please.

Dont you think that if you left the CDC "un-trimed" the fly would have more "triggers"?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    The point is that it would reflect
    Ye ok thanks I'm with you,I now have a better understanding.

another question if i may Darryl, what kind of foam are you using for the post?
    i just can't make it out.
    thanks
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Mooi fliegie Mr. Lampert! One question....and I want you to answer this please.

Dont you think that if you left the CDC "un-trimed" the fly would have more "triggers"?
    Hi CJ,

Yes, I believe the untrimmed fly would be a better fish catcher. I simply included the trimming step for those people who prefer a tidier and more imitative fly.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Last edited by dlampert; 22-04-08 at 09:30 AM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    another question if i may Darryl, what kind of foam are you using for the post?
    i just can't make it out.
    thanks
    Hi Roland,

It's a packing foam from some networking equipment - Chriss kindly gave me a piece. It is not as visible as Antron but provides additional floatation and a stiffer post for wrapping the dubbing loop "hackle".

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Hi Darryl

I like all your CDC flies, I think it is a great material and I love the effect it has on a fly, its fish-ability and the amount of fish they take. I also like using Seals Fur, as it has similar attributes...

I am keen to tie a RAB with a single turn of long CDC as legs…

I would like to ask why you take the fibres off the stem/stork and trap it in the tread, and not just tie the whole feather in?
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Hi CJ,

Yes, I believe the untrimmed fly would be a better fish catcher. I simply included the trimming step for those people who prefer a tidier and more imitative fly.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Hi Darryl

I like all your CDC flies, I think it is a great material and I love the effect it has on a fly, its fish-ability and the amount of fish they take. I also like using Seals Fur, as it has similar attributes...

I am keen to tie a RAB with a single turn of long CDC as legs…

I would like to ask why you take the fibres off the stem/stork and trap it in the tread, and not just tie the whole feather in?
    Hi Mike,

I like the split thread dubbing loop for a couple of reasons. You get rid of the centre stalk in a CDC feather which is stiff, adds weight and offers no benefit to the pattern. You can utilize lower quality CDC more effectively. In a parachute you don't need to tie off the stalk - you just continue wrapping and then half-hitch at the eye. I find I get a buggier thorax compared to just wrapping the feather. Lastly, I use this technique for lots of patterns and find it quick and easy to do.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Hi Mike,

I like the split thread dubbing loop for a couple of reasons. You get rid of the centre stalk in a CDC feather which is stiff, adds weight and offers no benefit to the pattern. You can utilize lower quality CDC more effectively. In a parachute you don't need to tie off the stalk - you just continue wrapping and then half-hitch at the eye. I find I get a buggier thorax compared to just wrapping the feather. Lastly, I use this technique for lots of patterns and find it quick and easy to do.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl.

Please can you do a little thing on what is the best process, which thread to use, what CDC feathers are best, and any other elements you believe work well… I saw a video on that clip thing you are using, where can it be purchased and where can we find more information on the techniques you have honed?

Ed could not stop raving about your pattern and he mentioned a few things about it, but I can’t say that I was in any state to remember all of it.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast