Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CDC Parachute Mayfly Step by Step

Default CDC Parachute Mayfly Step by Step

Here is the CDC Parachute Mayfly using the same hackling technique as the CDC Klinki.

Hook: Grip 11011BL #16
    Thread: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 (Colour to match body)
    Tail: Coq de Leon
    Body: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)
    Rib: Sparkle Organza or Thin Silver Wire
    Thorax: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)
    Hackle: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)

Step 1
    Dress first 1/3 of hook shank with thread

Step 2
    Tie in foam post

Step 3
    Run thread to hook bend and build a small thread bump.

Step 4
    Tie in 8 - 10 Coq de Leon hackle fibres - wrap over bump to splay tail.

Step 5
    Tie in sparkle organza (or any other ribbing). Select a CDC feather with a thin stalk and tie it in by the tip.

Step 6
    Twist the CDC feather slightly and then wrap it forward past the post and tie off. Trim all the long fibres as shown.

Step 7
    Rib with the sparkle organza.

Step 8
    Select a largish CDC feather. Stroke all the fibres from the tip until they are 90 degrees to the stalk. Place in clamp with the shorter barbs closer to the edge.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Step 9
    Trim the stalk off the feather leaving the barbs

Step 10
    Spin the thread anti-clockwise and then stroke it with your thumbnail close to the fly. Split the thread with a bodkin or embroidery needle. Place the CDC fibres into the loop and pull down gently to trap them. Spin the bobbin gently in a clockwise direction and then spin it harder two or three times.

Step 11
    Wrap the dubbing loop around the post as you would hackle a normal parachute fly. After every turn, stroke the fibres upwards to reduce trapping. Tie off with a couple of half-hitches and trim the thread. The fly will look very buggy and you can simply leave it like this and fish it.

If you prefer, you can grab as many CDC fibres as you can and pull them under the shank - trim them to approx 1 - 1.5 times hook gape length. This will give you a more standard parachute mayfly profile.

“Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

I see that pink foam is being used in all your flies....
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Great sequence again D. Look at how that air bublle is trapped by the CDC. Wonderful stuff.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ye nice pattern again.Another question from me.

Do u guys think the bubble will be visable in murky water?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Ye nice pattern again.Another question from me.

Do u guys think the bubble will be visable in murky water?
    Gerrit
    That bubble is like a blue light on a police car.
    As the light shines into the bubble, it refracts and breaks up in all different directions. In murky water it helps even more, to attract the fish's attention.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    As the light shines into the bubble
    Hello Mr.Pooza = Broos

Ok how does this happen if the bubble is underneath like in the pattern?

I get the various idees out there by means of adding flashy materials on the wingcase or in the thorax.With these type of flies once would fish it subsurface in most cases right?

The klinki is suppose to sit in the film.The only visable bubble if any will be underneath with no direct light shining through.

I just want to understand the idees or thinking around it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Ok how does this happen if the bubble is underneath like in the pattern?

The klinki is suppose to sit in the film.The only visable bubble if any will be underneath with no direct light shining through.
    Light does not come from the top only, it comes from all sides.

Well OK, in the Eastern Cape it does, have not fished the Vaal yet
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Vaal
    Exactly my thinking,how does light from all sides reflect brown?Maybe yellow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast