Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zinkwasi?

Default Zinkwasi?

Hi Guys

Have any of you ever fished around Zinkwasi on the North Coast?
    I will be staying on the lagoon, but apparently it is quite close to the beach as well.
    I have actualy never fly fished salt water before, but I have a 10# Explorer Guide series and a 400grain striped bass line(-Rio, the line is a ***** to cast.)that I think should be enough for the surf and the lagoon.I am thinking of tying a bunch of clousers and charlies.

Does it sound like I am working in the right direction?

Hi Wolfie

If the line is difficult to cast and you have never fished the salt before take note of this piece of advice. I learnt the hard way and broke a 2 week old (expensive) rod.

If the wind is blowing onto your casting hand, iow blowing the line towards you from the side it will also blow the clouser with its heavy eyes. Those eyes can hit you or worse snap the rod in two.

But to answer your question. Clousers and charlies are good. Maybe tie a few charlies with orange bodies and tan wings to imitate the sand lice in that area. I assume they are there as they are present further north.

When are you going?

Cheers and let us know how it went.

When last my boet stayed there, there was literally nothing, the two fo them were alone on the beach for kms in every direction (granted it was in off season)

I was investigating going there myself not too long ago and came on this:

www.zinkwazilagoonlodge.co.za

Seems like the place might have been corrupted and lost it's secluded charm.

Having said that, look at the colour of that water on the photos, looks like you will have ready access to good dropoffs and fishable water. Clousers & Charlies will do, but I'd definately take some 4/0 and 6/0 Sempers and Profile flies in similar sizes. In addition, also take something smaller like the Bend Back Mullet or Polar Fibre minnow or similar.

I think you'd stand a good chance of running into a few Kings there, weather and baitballs permitting.

A few words of advice: 50lb tippet, check your knots, tighten the drag on your reel as hard as it can go BEFORE you cast and don't bother retrieving your fly if you have a fouled line.

Remember your line basket and FIND THE BAITBALLS! If you see baitfish jumping, get your fly there!
    Last edited by Scythe; 22-04-08 at 09:03 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Cool

There r ways to counter the wind ito casting.If ur a righty and the wind comes from the right,do a Belgian Cast.It def works a charm for this type of occurance.

I haven't fished the salt so I can't say I've experienced that sort of wind locally but evenso,the technique should sort it out regardless of where ur fishing.

Oh and as another tip, practise your casting before you go (just ask HughMeister)

If the wind blows from your casting arm side (which it will) you need to be able to 'crab cast' (ie: cast facing the beach and release with final high power haul on last back cast)

Belgian cast won't be suitable, not with the distances you will be aiming for and the heavy flies you will be chucking and especially not if the wind is howling (like it invariably does at the coast)

Another way to combat wind from right ahead ie in ur face is to bend down or crouch just as u release ur forward stroke.The wind is always less just over the waves than higher up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Belgian cast won't be suitable, not with the distances you will be aiming for and the heavy flies you will be chucking and especially not if the wind is howling (like it invariably does at the coast)
    I agree but we're talking clousers and charlies here plus the fact that Wolfie hasn't fished the salt before plus I doubt whether he can flog distances like required for this excercise.

I might be wrong wrt his current limits ito casting but that is what I gathered from his post.

Well done on ur specie list

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Oh and as another tip, practise your casting before you go (just ask HughMeister)

If the wind blows from your casting arm side (which it will) you need to be able to 'crab cast' (ie: cast facing the beach and release with final high power haul on last back cast)
    HI,

We in the P.E. area call this the back cast. After all, your back is facing the area you intend casting to.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    I agree but we're talking clousers and charlies here
    You should see some of my clousers.

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid

Stick to the basics, double haul your arse off to get the distance, turn to face the beach when the wind is coming from the wrong side. It's by far the simplest way of getting your line and fly into the water.

Wolfie, my tips:

1) Seriously, practise your casting BEFORE you go, it will pay dividends.

2) If you're battling to cast a 400grain line on a 10WT, you need to slow things down. Slow your casting stroke, let the line load the rod, and lengthen your casting stroke. The biggest revelation for me was that with the 10WT I could effectively cast slower than I need to with my 7WT and a shooting head.

3) Don't be shy to wear gloves, the 10WT can eat your hand, even the hardebaarde serious salty guys fish with gloves.

4) You need a line basket !

5) Distance is your ally, contrary to what a lot of freshwater guys who whine & moan about distances and how they're NOT important will tell you, you can never cast far enough, especially with SW.

Take a look here for some more tips http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/...astshoot.shtml

The most important thing is to make the rod do the work, to do this you need to load the rod properly, on a 10WT this isn't always as easy as it would be with a lighter rod. You need to change your casting stroke a bit, but even on a super stiff 10WT, when casting a heavy line the rod should bend quite a bit.

The reality is we always practise casting in 'perfect' conditions, no wind, no waves coming over your head, no current dragging you seawards, no shifting sand under your feet. Take the distance you can cast successively in 'perfect' conditions and subtract at least 25% when you get to the ocean.

Practise Practise Practise Practise Practise Practise!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Well done on ur specie list
    Thanks
    Last edited by Scythe; 22-04-08 at 09:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast