Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: in the beginning

Default in the beginning

Hi all
    I decided its time to start fly tying so I went to phillip and got myself a vice/tool kit and some material
    Started tying, here is some of my first ones. Please criticise.
    On the photo I saw some more mistakes, like some of the hackle that was was trapped. Now I just have to get some more variety.

cheers
    Benja
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hello Benja,

Those flies of yours look really good. I wish I tied damsels and dragons like that when I just started tying. Keep up the good work.

I see you are an engineering student at Stellenbosch. I'd advise you to go and look at the step-by-steps on the forum. There's some patterns that will stand you in good stead in your part of the world.

Regards,
    PTN

thanks PTN

yes I had a look at all the woolly bugger patterns and adapted from them to use what I have.

Hi Benja

Try this....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=3140

You should also try get to Flywaters Bellville this coming thursday evening! Tim Rolston is the guest tyer.

It will help you by tremendouslyby attending. You will learn all the techniques you need to tye, such as pinch and loop, dubbing, hackling wet and dry flies, ribbing, spinning deer hair, whip finishing with and without tool etc....

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 19-04-08 at 04:13 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Benja View Post
    Hi all
    I decided its time to start fly tying so I went to phillip and got myself a vice/tool kit and some material
    Started tying, here is some of my first ones. Please criticise.
    On the photo I saw some more mistakes, like some of the hackle that was was trapped. Now I just have to get some more variety.

cheers
    Benja
    HELL Benja,

i have taught guys to tie flies, and they did not look as good as these Well done, keep it up bro.

Dave (being tying a couple myself)
    Last edited by poppernel; 19-04-08 at 04:44 PM.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

thanks Dave
    The step by steps on here and dave cammis' videos help a lot!!!

Nice Flies, I'm no whizz with hackle so I often just use cactus chennile for my buggers. The only constructive criticsim I can give you about the bugger is too maybe try and space your hackle wraps a bit further apart, too shorten the length of the tail to roughly the length of the shank to help prevent short takes and the tail wrapping around the hook while casting and to make sure your thread wraps wont come apart if the thread going over the bead gets broken. Think you've got a winner on your hands though!
    Check your knots!

These flies look a hell of a lot better than my first ones. Nice job bud. If you de-barb your hooks it's really easy just to use the clamp on the vice to push the barb down. It's also a good idea to de-barb before you start tying the fly. I have some short a couple of times by tying the fly first and then having the hook break when de-barbing and swearing big words
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Looking good!

Hi Benja

I agree with the comment on spacing the hackles farther apart, with the hackles like that you are going to battle to get the fly under water, even with a bead.

I also agree with the tail wrap comment.

Tip: Don't rush off and snip all the marabou tails that are too long off with your scissors. Rather take the marabou firmly between your thumbs and forefingers and break it off. This will result in a more natural looking tail.

Cheers

Jean

My advice on the Marabou tail is that no matter how short u pinch it off it'll always be an irritation.If it's too short it won't have much of an effect either.

Rather sub it with Mink or thin Zonker or if u really want to use Marabou do what Liam(I think) did with the mono OR tie in some harder hair like Deer Hair before(under) u tie in the Marabou.It'll aid in the wrapping of the Marabou.

Use the info or don't.Well done with your flies.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 21-04-08 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast