Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies made from Proteas

Default Flies made from Proteas

Hi
    Thought I might tie up some flies for our national team using our National Flower. Flies are made using Protea Flowers, Thread & Hook.
    (Anyone got a Blue Crane Skin?)
    Hook size #18 except for caddis #16

Generic Nymph

Humpy

generic dry

Caddis
    Last edited by ArcherFish; 05-05-08 at 01:47 PM.
    Regards
    Craig

2. Default

Baie mooi Graig!!!!

Blue Crane be endangered though ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

You the MAN.
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Interesting Craig! I've often thought along the lines of attaching a hook into the seeds of some of the bearded sugar bushes. Once dry, their hairy seeds become detached and airborn, very light they are, almost resembling #14 Wickhams Fancies. I'm sure they have fooled many a trout before when blown into the river. You'll find plenty of these seeds in places along the path upto the cave in the Elandspad.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

HI Craig

Inovation at its best, very well done.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Wow. This is brilliant. Have you ever fished any of them? Would be really interesting to see how they do.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Baie mooi !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Wow. This is brilliant. Have you ever fished any of them? Would be really interesting to see how they do.
    Thanks for the positive comments Guys.
    Tied these last night after collecting some Proteas on the weekend, so I havent had a chance to fish them.
    The dries should have no trouble floating, but will probably be trash after the 1st fish, just like my CDC flies.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Interesting Craig! I've often thought along the lines of attaching a hook into the seeds of some of the bearded sugar bushes. Once dry, their hairy seeds become detached and airborn, very light they are, almost resembling #14 Wickhams Fancies. I'm sure they have fooled many a trout before when blown into the river. You'll find plenty of these seeds in places along the path upto the cave in the Elandspad.
    Yes, nice one, Craig! We often tell the youngsters in our club to tie flies using only what they find alongside our dam - feathers or vegetation! (Don't worry, I assure their parents they won't pick up anything else!). This type of creative tying certainly is a breath of fresh air, even if the flies do only last one fish!
    I remember guys here used to tie big flying ants (termites) using a floating bean as the body, but unsure what type of bean it was, certainly something local of a creamish/yellowsh colour about the size of a broad bean
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Yes, nice one, Craig! We often tell the youngsters in our club to tie flies using only what they find alongside our dam - feathers or vegetation! (Don't worry, I assure their parents they won't pick up anything else!). This type of creative tying certainly is a breath of fresh air, even if the flies do only last one fish!
    I remember guys here used to tie big flying ants (termites) using a floating bean as the body, but unsure what type of bean it was, certainly something local of a creamish/yellowsh colour about the size of a broad bean
    Thanks Chris
    Do you mean the whole bean pod, or single seed?
    Regards
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast