Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kurper on the fly

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Kurper build nests out of the sand which they use as a nursery. They gaurd these nest quite seriously.
    Try a Mickey Finn of something similar, that should pi$$ them off enough to wanna break your fly in half.
    I have seen Ciclids doing similar things in lake Malawi and you are right when you say pi... them off enough to break your fly. It is as though you were trying to steal the poor things babes...........
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Default Kurper on a hot day

Tried Vasfontein bass estate on Sunday without much luck. The bait casters were making a killing but the fly's didn't seem to do the trick. Other than the fact that it was 34 degrees out, all the kurper were interested in was earthworms. Tried every trick in the book from terrestrials to nymphs, buzzers, even San jaun worms didn't do it. Well, at least I got to cast my fly out a bit. Anyone got any tricks they might want to share?
    Last edited by wernerm; 08-01-07 at 03:26 PM.

If you see nests either try piss them off or use a small nymph and try and land it in their nest. When they come to remove it...

I fished for kurper yesterday a hot summers day without success.
    The dam we fished were full of juveniles, mostly kurper and possible bass, If I say full I mean full.
    Any cast in any direction would make a school of small fish scatter.
    I tried bait pattern for the odd barbel the were feeding on the schools without success as the barbel were moving around. I suspect my bait pattern were to big and possibly not matching the bait fish color.

Have any of you caught kurper on a bait fish pattern?

I use small silver bead jig streamers and kurper love them , figure of 8 them back on a floating

Thanks Craig, what depth did you fish - leader length compared to dam depth.
    I assume your streamer had some soft hackle for movement ?

I went fishing for them on 2 different dams last week. Caught only one on a Read eye damsel, my but threw some earth worms and nailed a couple. on the other dam I got lost of bites but no hook ups, hook sizes was 10 and 12.
    My tippet was very thin - 6x.

I am going to tie up some 14 -16 San Juan's and see what happens.

The fish are very small - 5-10cm
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Don't be scared to throw something with a lof of glitter and relatively neutral density (ie, very very very slow sinkrate) at them, I nailed lots and lots of them this way, usually because they're fairly close to surface in shallow water they spook, irrespective of how well you present your offering, but then curiosity kills the cat.

Also if you can find them along a reed bed, they typically reverse butt first into the reeds or hang out around the rights, presentations made tight against the reeds will get attention, especially if you pitch and let it sink, watching them give you the nibble is key to setting the hook.

EDIT : Something else to note, they like to tail nip, so if your fly has a tail of sorts, that's where they will hit it first. That's how they abuse and kill "invaders", including their own kind, they basically start chasing it, nipping it's tail untill the other Kurper is so stressed it stops moving, and then they eat it.
    Last edited by Scythe; 05-02-13 at 08:26 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12