Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tuna on fly comp

Default Tuna on fly comp

Howdy guys.

I just spent the weekend with some mates fishing in a tuna on fly competition, just North of Brisbane at a place called Bribie Island. I'm not really into competitions but headed up anyway as it's a good excuse to catch up with mates and enjoy a weekend's tuna fishing on a mate's boat.

It's 1 point for a mac tuna (kawa kawa) and 5 points for a longtail tuna so naturally everyone was keen to get longtails. 10 boats with 20 anglers entered and after 2 days fishing, 2 longtails and 18 macs were caught.

The weather was perfect but the fish played a skilled game of dodge for most anglers. All fishing is done from custom built and modified centre console boats and the distances are quite large - we did 145km on Saturday around Moreton Bay looking for fish!

It's so much fun chasing them around in a boat, they absolutely fly along just chomping small baitfish in their paths. The schools of macs are quite small with around 10-20 fish per school and the longtails seem to travel in singles or doubles.

The the trick is to intercept them with the boat and get the fly in their feeding path, you've got to be super fast and be able to cast a full line in teh wind with as few back casts as possible, it's farking difficult!

I got 6 of these little guys

The longtails are big! Average size is 12kg. There were no pics of any longy's this year, but here's some caught recently by 2 anglers. These things pull string!

Last edited by Jono Shales; 05-05-08 at 08:29 AM.

Nice Jono, looks like you had fun!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Jono!!!You keep posting pics like these and you are asking for an a$$ whooping.

Just playing bud. Nice fish and well done.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Mmmm.......sushi...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Honestly, tuna have to be top of my list of species to target with the fly. They are so fast and so challenging when sight casting to them as they feed, it's so much fun!

It's crazy to think that these fish are all in the bay just off Brisbane and can be targetted nearly every month of the year.

Stephen you're right, the longtails make great sushi, the macs on the other hand make great burley (chum)

Small epoxy surf candies with long fluorocarbon leaders of 40lb to 20lb did the trick

Jono....that looks like awesum fishing.sea is nice and calm.....casting should be easy....i fear that when i venture out one day,the only burley that will be seen will be coming out of my ......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Jono....that looks like awesum fishing.sea is nice and calm.....casting should be easy....i fear that when i venture out one day,the only burley that will be seen will be coming out of my ......
    he he he....funny
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Smile

Wish I was fishing there !

Just goes to show that it doesnt matter what you have caught and how big they were......every single one puts a smile on your face.

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Weingartz View Post
    Wish I was fishing there !
    you can get that sort of action a LOT closer to home .... plenty tuna action off Cape Point in the summer months ... in fact right NOW they are still catching.

Some really nice yellowtail were also picked up just of Kalk Bay yesterday!! ... really close in. (tomorrow night's braai!)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast