Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Drift boat or float tube

I've read some about the troubles with capsizing and instability on the V-boats moreso on the U-Tubes ... in your experience would you guys agree or dissagree ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Thumbs up

I never capsized my u tube or v-boat but surely did with the ARK.

But I rather drift boat fishing than trawling from the V Boat.

Drift boat fishing is designed primarily to cover large areas of water to find the fish. From what I have read and experienced, in most stillwaters 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water. If you are fishing a large UK Reservoir then it's important to cover a large amount of water to find that 20% area where most of the fish are. In a place like Lakies (which is tiny by comparison), we know that most of the time the most fish are located in the inlet. This means you have a log jam of drift boats all trying to get the slowest possible drift in the inlet. In non-competitive fishing you would simply throw out an anchor when you find the fish and enjoy your fishing.

I have both an explorer V boat and an Ark Fishduck. The V boat is far more comfortable to fish from, far more manouverable when casting (I can turn 180 degrees and cover a rise quickly), far more manouverable when fighting fish (if they run towards you, you can kick backwards to take in slack), easier to use in wind (you can keep yourself in one spot or drift at whatever speed or in any direction you want), packs smaller than the Ark and much quicker to setup. You also spend a lot more time fishing and less timing rowing and stuffing around with drogues or anchors . The only downside to the V boat is long distances take time. The Ark is nice from a social perspective, great for long distances and rivers and keeps you out of the water. If I have to travel a long distance I prefer to do this in the Ark but tow the V boat along for when I want to fish. When sharing a boat it helps if one of you are left and the other right-handed - that way you don't spend the whole day ducking or worrying about klapping your mate with a couple of tungsten bead streamers

Which would I buy first ? Depends on what kind of water I was likely to fish more often.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    worrying about klapping your mate with a couple of tungsten bead streamers
    Trust me... they dont worry! Ask Ian and MC!

On a related note: I think we should implement a rule with drift boat fishing. If you klap your mate in the back or head and break off your fly... your mate should get to keep it.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Trust me... they dont worry! Ask Ian and MC!

On a related note: I think we should implement a rule with drift boat fishing. If you klap your mate in the back or head and break off your fly... your mate should get to keep it.
    HAHAHAHHAHAHa

I saw MC lodging and removing his fly from your head last weekend!
    Thats no fun I can imagine!

Personally I dont really care what type boat/kickboat i ride as long as i can put myself in the bets position to catch the fish im happy.

I have a mini v-boat and enjoy it alot except the long paddles with it. At the trails was my fisrt experience in drift baoting and it was realy leka! Exspecailly the paddles! its much easier to row thatn to kick!

Bu t at the end of the day i dont really care cuase both ways of fishing has its advantages and disatvantages.

Just my opinion!
    Regards Bossi

Default Drifting

My thought on this is that if you got a lot of distance to cover a boat/Kayak is definitely better in the sense that it is much easier to cover that afternoon stretch home and most of the time against the wind.
    Again, that seat of my float tube is mighty comfortable... with everything I need all tucked in.

Off the subject a little, what size drift anchor/drogue do you ouks use?

Groete
    Piet

Hi guys.

I have been searching the net for pontoon boats. They look nice and I have been thinking of getting one. Reason being it may be difficult for me to work the flippers for paddling because of my prosthetic. The pontoons have oars so that's a bit easier for me. I do however see a problem. If I get to the piece of water thats productive, i need to hang around there with haveing my hands on the oars, this is where the flipper work will come in. Can one use flipper with a pontoon? Or should i then just get an anchor. I know some still water do not allow the use of anchors though.

Thanks guys

Jason
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hi guys.

Can one use flipper with a pontoon? Or should i then just get an anchor. I know some still water do not allow the use of anchors though.

Thanks guys

Jason
    As far as I know yes. You have a foot-rest you can use when rowing to keep your feet out the water, but you can also drop your legs knee-deep into the water and use flippers to move.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5