Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Drift boat or float tube

Default Drift boat or float tube

When fishing still waters for trout specifically, who uses a float tube or kick boat, and who uses a drift boat, and why.....whats best, more difficult, challenging...etc.etc.

Now this will be interesting since I myself have to choose specifically between a kick boat and a smallish rubber duck, eagerly awaiting some responses!

I use a V-boat, easy to control, easy to pack and you stay drier/warmer than a u-tube. I think a pontoon boat would be great but not as easy to pack.

I'm not a fan of a drift boat - I don't find them comfortable at all especially for a long session.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I use a V-boat, easy to control, easy to pack and you stay drier/warmer than a u-tube. I think a pontoon boat would be great but not as easy to pack.

I'm not a fan of a drift boat - I don't find them comfortable at all especially for a long session.
    Byron & others. would an inflatable aka ARK be considered a drift boat??
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Yes, drift boat fishing can be done off anything that floats. the guys down here use Ark fish ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I would think so - probably because it can be paddled or powered by a motor and then drift - you can drift on a tube but you aren't totally dry your legs are in the water so you always have some influence on your direction on the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

Ja sure Byron, but comfort aside, it is the actual style of fishing I refer to as drift boat fishing can be substantially different to tubing, although they can also be quite similar if you choose to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ja sure Byron, but comfort aside, it is the actual style of fishing I refer to as drift boat fishing can be substantially different to tubing, although they can also be quite similar if you choose to make it so.
    Yip agreed. But three days in a tube is a breeze. Three day's in a boat and I doubt I'll still be smiling.

I think each has its application...

If you are talking about stillwater trout fishing then I far prefer a tube to a boat. If you are fishing competitively then it would seem you need to get used to fishing a boat.

[QUOTE=Byron;76963your legs are in the water so you always have some influence on your direction on the drift.[/QUOTE]

Interesting,
    I have never drifted whilst fishing. I understand the logic behind the direction of craft aspect, iro positioning, ito casting into the preferred lie.
    Would anchoring in an Arc, and then casting not be the same?
    I do realise that an infatable is not nearly as manouverable (sP) as a float tube, but there again I get to the target area a damn sight quicker.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast