Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Calling" Barbel

Default "Calling" Barbel

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever tried the method the artlure guys use to "call" barbel, but on your fly rods?

Oh, and what weight fly rod did you use....

Rod size depends on the size of the barbel, you can do it on a 5WT, but I'd choose something heavier like a 7WT or 8WT.

I have no idea how art lure anglers 'call' barbel, my brother has been calling them for 5 or 6 years now ("Ag kan ek tog net asseblief 'n flippen baber vang?") and only caught his first one last week AND in the Richtersveld to boot.

Essentially you're referring to slapping the water, same principle as a plop presentation to get a fish to come and see what just plopped into the water. What you do is to slap the water with your fly on the forward cast a few times and then to let the fly settle and sink. Usually you have a fish come looking for whatever edible tidbit caused the noise.

You should also be warned, this doesn't always work. Barbel can be every bit as spooky as Troot. My favourite technique for barbel is sucker punching them, you find a fish or pod of fish blooping around, follow the fish' bloop pattern and present your fly more or less where you expect him to bloop next.

If you just gently tickle their whiskers with the fly or tippet you're usually guaranteed a hook up.
    Last edited by Scythe; 09-05-08 at 09:20 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

So wanneer gaan jy my vat om vir my te wys? hehehehe

Dis bietjie stil met die babers in die Vaal op die oomblik, somer is 'n beter bet, hulle is baie meer aktief naby die oppervlakte dan. Ek hou nie daarvan om blind te hengel vir baber nie.

As jy'n dag trip kan reel na 'n dam toe dan kan ons dit doen, die skole babers is baie pret sodra die son die water bietjie warmer bak en die babers in die vlakker water begin in beweeg. Andersins moet jy net die pods soek, maar dit beteken gewoonlik 'n boot.

Ek het 'n bass boot. Het hom gaan inlyf op Jozini laas naweek.

I fished with the LTB guys a couple of times. On my first outing they told me to bring my 8 or 10ft R&S rod with at least 24kg line on a penn 68(or larger). I thaught this was an overkill I took my 10# explorer rod with, confident that I will manage. Their calling technique requires that you use a vary short line from the tip of the rod to the "loodkop". You present the loodkop close to (well basically in) structure where you have seen activity by hanging the loodkop and dipping the rod tip in the water. Then you "call" by splash the water with the rod tip. Their rods developed for this technique is a tapered steel tube with the line running in the tube. There are no eyes that can hook on reeds or structure. In some cases the rod tip has a loose collar to act as a rattle when they call. I did manage to get snorre on my R&S rod that day but I surely did not attemt to try their technique with my flyrod.
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Quote Originally Posted by marno View Post
    Ek het 'n bass boot. Het hom gaan inlyf op Jozini laas naweek.
    Lekker, ons kan dan 'n trip doen na Roodekoppies of Roodeplaat of selfs Harties (as dit nou regtig moet) daar is baie goeie water waar jy 'n baber sal kan by uitkom. Ek is net nie so vertroud met die populasies in Roodekoppies en Roodeplaat nie maar ek het altyd van Harties gehou vir lekker groot babers tot dit te sif begin raak het om in die water in te klim en daar is groot babers in Harties.

Kom ons tref reelings dan doen ons 'n dag trip, waar in Gauteng is jy ?

Bly in Roodepoort...

Roodekoppies sal nou nog babers gee!
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast