Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Forecast IM6 Rod Blanks - finished rod

Quote Originally Posted by davelrods View Post
    You obviously have a good eye. I always tell folks my rods of course reflect my craft and skill with everything involved. You get pretty good at it after a couple thousand rods. But the bottom line is an eye for proportions and color complements and what just looks right. You have captured that on that rod and should be proud of it. Most folks miss the mark more often than not.
    dave lewis
    PS: Dave, welcome to this forum. Allthough the rod-building phenomenon is fairly small in South Africa, there are a few very good builders here.

I've always admired (okay, drooled over) your work...the rods you build are exceptional! In fact, I once saw a picture of a rod on a random website, and thought "that looks just like a Dave Lewis rod!". I was right too, your wraps and finishes are really unique in a lot of cases. You really create incredible works of art...there is no other way to describe it.

Regards
    Mike Newby

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS: Dave, welcome to this forum. Allthough the rod-building phenomenon is fairly small in South Africa, there are a few very good builders here.

I've always admired (okay, drooled over) your work...the rods you build are exceptional! In fact, I once saw a picture of a rod on a random website, and thought "that looks just like a Dave Lewis rod!". I was right too, your wraps and finishes are really unique in a lot of cases. You really create incredible works of art...there is no other way to describe it.

Regards
    Mike Newby
    What can I say, Mike, but thanks so much for your kind words.

dave

Sorry for digging up and oldish thread, but how does one go about cutting off a piece of the tip?

Cautiously, I know, but it would be nice to know how to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Sorry for digging up and oldish thread, but how does one go about cutting off a piece of the tip?

Cautiously, I know, but it would be nice to know how to do it right.
    A Dremel tool or similar is the most effective. Use the 1mm blade/disc at the highest RPM your tool can go. Mine spins at max 23 000 rpm.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    A Dremel tool or similar is the most effective. Use the 1mm blade/disc at the highest RPM your tool can go. Mine spins at max 23 000 rpm.
    Mario is right...you can also use a normal grinding bench. At a pinch, you can use a hand-held grinder too...just be very careful. Mount the grinder in a vise if you can.
    If you don't have access to these tools...you can use a triangular matal file, but it takes long, and the file gets glogged quickly with graphite fibers and dust...so you need to constantly clean the file.

Do not cut it with a knife, saw it with a hacksaw, or anthing like that. The graphite WILL split, even if you can't see it with the naked eye.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6