Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: High fast streams - what now?

Question High fast streams - what now?

Hi All

I had business in Robertson on Monday, and wanted to do some late afternoon fishing on Smalblaar 6 on my return to Sbsch. The river was a lot faster after the weekend rain, and I found myself totally out of depth.

What strategies and flies should I have considered, and more importantly, how does the fish behave in these conditions? I tried a bit of CZN , but did not have a clue if the fish would be in the deeper pools or in the runs?

How long does it take the streams to “settle” after a rainy spell like this?

Thanks
    Etienne

Etienne, ok, this is an ideal opportuniy to CZN the streams. When I heared that the rivers were flowing strong, went out and booked EP1 for Sunday.
    The fish will be hanging in the runs, and hiding behind submerged rocks, making use of the back eddies. They will be nice and hungry, as they won't be finding food in the way that they are used to. I will be using a 3 fly rig, with a heavy fly in the middle, and a couple of hot spot nymphs on point and top(nice and visible). My control fly will have anything up to a 4mill tungsten bead, depending on the flow and depth, and the other two flies may be weighted or unweighted, depending on how I feel. I expect the takes to be very soft, as the fish probably wont be darting out long distances to get the flies, but will sip them in as they come past.
    I can't wait, I will let you know what happens.
    Oh ja, I'm going to exactly what the Vaal guys do in summer for yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh ja, I'm going to exactly what the Vaal guys do in summer for yellows.
    Please do report back Andre.

BTW Bertu told me the one about the similarity between washing machines & a woman. Brilliant
    Looking forward to seeing & fishing with you again.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Please do report back Andre.

BTW Bertu told me the one about the similarity between washing machines & a woman. Brilliant
    Looking forward to seeing & fishing with you again.
    Is he still on about that one???? Ja, as i said, will be upon the 7th for a meeting, so maybe we do something. I havn't passed it through the "washing machine" yet, but I'm sure i could fly back Monday morning.

Hi Andre

I had abouut an hour to fish by the time I got there. I mainly tried the head of junction pool, wich was so fast i struggled to get the flies down ( my droppers had max 3mm tungsten ) I thought i felt a pluck or two, but missed as i was expeting a more solid hit. Like with yellows. Will take a few heavier flies along next time.

Thanks for the advice

Etienne

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    . I havn't passed it through the "washing machine" yet, .
    Chokes and wipes beer off screen, keyboard, walls etc.

You b*st*rd, should have expected that

geez, is the flow up by so much already? i think we got SB6 for sat. obviously i was snoozing when the real rain came down....Andre, you think dries will work at all?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Guys, never having even seen the streams personally, let alone fish them, I am very curious. I know from personal experience that the effect of flows depends on the stretch of water you are fishing.
    For instance up here 30 cumecs at Eastco is a walk in the park, try 30 at the place of iron bars and you are looking for sh*t.
    What is considered "high flows" in terms of fishing on the streams.

Seeing how steep the valleys are, coupled with the "narrowness" of the streams, I am going to hazard a guess that 15 cumecs is "get away, far away time".

herman to be honest....when my nuts get wet...it's flowing hav'nt fished in the rainy times so don't know cumecs, maybe chris or one of the regulars will help
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Thanks Rols, BTW isn't that whisky finished yet?

From my limited experience, the sea is not freinds with a babee

Unless you stay p*ssed of course, then even the Orange is your freind.
    You can not drown, Alchahol is lighter than water.

Kid you not, ask Jasper, he has seen it with his own eye's.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast