Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revelations Tuna Hunt Part I

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Part I

Wiets with his first tuna

The original plan for the Tuna Hunt was to spend two nights at sea off Cape Point and fish for tuna. With a couple of cold fronts on the way, this trip was called off due to possible strong winds and big swells. Plan B sprang into action with Wiets calling a meeting at the yacht on Tuesday night. Rols, FishWhisper (Matt) and I arrived and were soon joined by Damage (Denton) and PezVela (Karl). We met Sue and Wiets on their lovely yacht Revelations, and over an excellent breyani provided by Chef Rols, discussed a day outing for the following day. Denton and Karl (both very experienced tuna flyfishers) provided valuable input with Denton rigging up one of Wiets’s flylines with a tuna-ready braided loop as the tiny loop he had fitted at a flyshop in JHB looked more suited to trout or yellowfish. Denton also showed us some of his successful tuna flies including his Tuna RAB and kindly left us with a batch of them to try the following day. Wiets casually showed us some really beautiful lifelike squid patterns, which he had tied on tubes for the trip. Plans were made and we agreed to meet the following morning at 06H45.

Rols, Matt and I arrived the next morning on time with enough clothing, tackle and food to last a couple of months at sea. In reality Matt had a small bag and stripping basket, Roland had the same plus a couple of crates of beer and I arrived in my usual minimalist style hoping like hell that Wiets had managed to fit some roofracks and a trailer to the yacht during the night. We managed to stow most of our gear and while I was negotiating with a couple of tankers and trawlers to bring the rest of my stuff, Yachtmaster Brent arrived with a couple of 5kg boxes of sardines. After a safety talk from Wiets and Brent, Revelations idled out of it’s berth on a perfect morning and headed for the harbour mouth. Table Mountain looked stunning in the early morning light and it’s at times like these that I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in the world!

On the way out of the harbour, the three of us started rigging up some conventional rods with Matt adding his flyrod to the mix. The dead calm of the harbour turned into a light swell as we left the protection of its walls. Brent set a heading of 290 degrees and we carried on under the yachts motors, as there was no wind worth mentioning. We soon had a couple of rapalas in the water and Brent joined in by throwing out a couple of lures on handlines, which he secured to the boat. After a short time the first reel screamed and Rols was “On Dad”! After a savage fight lasting many minutes we managed to get our cameras out of their bags in time to record our first catch on Revelations – a prime specimen of Ecklonia maxima. After a couple of photos, Matt released it safely to fight another day. With lines back in and heart rates back to normal, we carried on trolling. Rols was on a roll (sorry about that one) and soon his reel was screaming again. With the ribbing he received after his last catch, he nonchalantly reeled in his line expecting another “kelp” fish. About twenty meters from the boat, the kelp fish suddenly started moving sideways and then Matt shouted “Numberplate”! Numberplate ? Why on earth would someone care whether the boat had a numberplate or not – we weren’t speeding? The numberplate decided it would like to be on the front of the boat and cut the 80lb fluoro leader off on the prop in a split second. Judging by its tactics and what Matt had seen of it, the numberplate was probably a nice yellowtail. If anyone catches a nice yellowtail in the bay with a Blue Sardine XRap in it’s mouth – please send the fish to Rols and the XRap to Wiets.

With the possibility of actually catching fish, we retied the bimini (all thanks to MC for showing me how to tie these things), tied on another rap (notice the carefree use of terms used by experienced saltwater fisherman) and started concentrating. Not long afterwards, Matts reel screamed and he was “vas” into a fish. I was also “vas” into a fish as I tried to remove my line from the water. After a long tiring fight, I finally managed to boat my deep diving rap – jeez these things fight hard. Matt wasn’t taking any k@k from his fish and soon landed it and in true trout fisherman style ripped it’s gills out to suffocate it. We found a suitable hatch for it and then started swabbing down the deck, which resembled a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacres.

The wind picked up at about 10H00 and it was finally time to see what Revelations could do under sail. Brent and Rols hopped around above us, undid a couple of zips, pressed a couple of buttons and pulled a couple of ropes. Whip, Bang and suddenly we are doing 10 knots – this yacht is flipping amazing! Excuse me if I sound a bit wet behind the ears on all things nautical but the last time I was on a yacht was about thirty years ago on a 16ft Hobi on a dam in the Transvaal. About the only thing I remembered from that trip was the boom was something to be respected and an upside down hobi is not easy to flip the right way up.

Soon breakfast was served – Sue whipped together a quick fruit cocktail topped with yoghurt and muesli served in a chilled fluted glass with a spoon. Whilst munching on our breakfast admiring the fading coastline Brent quipped “I wonder what the poor people are doing today?” Sitting at work reading Flytalk was an answer that sprang to mind.

The wind was picking up and after some moaning to the captain, the speed was dropped to around 8 knots, which stopped the raps either jumping out of the water or pretending to be 100lb yellowfin tuna. Ominous thumping sounds caused a bit of a stir until we discovered that yellowtail don’t die quickly after having their gills ripped out. Mad Matt got an evil gleam in his eye, grabbed a knife and soon the thumping sounds were a thing of the past. Seeing as things had been a bit slow, we changed one of the raps for a 3oz Ashley Read flat backed spoon and soon had it bouncing along the surface behind the boat. The next reel song was mine and after an easier fight compared to my earlier one with the rap, we boated a nice boni (oceanic bonito/skipjack tuna). While posing for pics the boni decided he would like to leave the boat but unfortunately for him, he had embedded a couple of his tail scoots safely in my hand which prevented him leaving. Mad Matt was taking no chances with this one and after permission from the captain, coaxed it into the hatch using a winch handle. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II required less blood in the filming but with captain Wiets performing some acrobatic moves with a bucket we were soon ship shape and under sail again (these nautical terms are fun).
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 10:45 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Part II

Next up to the fighting deck was captain Wiets and after a spirited fight another boni was boated. The picture taking was a delicate affair with Captain Wiets’s sparkling white top (emblazoned with Revelations) and a vibrating bleeding boni an unlikely pair. Mad Matt delivered the coup de grace and suddenly it looked like we were pros. Yachtmaster Brent was next and showed us that you don’t need fancy rods, reels and rapalas to catch fish. With his 500lb handline he simply pulled in the next boni as if he was pulling up a sail – Mad Matt did the honours and another boni joined it’s friends.

First mate Rols was feeling a bit left out and the next fish was his for the taking. With the reel screaming and the first mate offering the rod to everyone else on the boat we finally convinced him it was his. Closer to the boat the numberplate turned into a flying fish and first mate Rols realised it just wasn’t his day as far as fish were concerned. Mad Matt saw lots of flytying potential with the first mates flying “fish” but after some careful surgery we released him and he managed to fly off to tell his mates that diving for these flashy things ripping through the water was an unhealthy pastime.

With the fishing slowing down, the discussion turned to the best way of tying Bimini Twists. Our Ashley Read spoons must have overheard the conversation and in the blink of an eye they were going for a world record bimini twist. A hundred meters of twisted line is quite a sight and after a brief discussion, Mad Matt handlined the whole lot in, snipped off the spoons and sent them back out to untangle themselves. Ten minutes later, they were still deciding whether to undo themselves or better their previous record so we brought them back in and undid them by hand. With our fishing reduced to Snoekie Line Brent (who during the day had been attempting a couple of bimini world records himself) we got quite desperate and sent the lines back out without allowing them to unravel properly first. You guessed it, five minutes later we were trying to decide if it would be better to just cut the whole lot off or simply tie 9/0 hooks to all the “droppers”, bait them with frozen sardines and send them back out. We finally had them unravelled and sent them out again. Suddenly Brent/Matt/Rols/Darryl had a bite – we pulled in a tangle of lines, cut off lures, had a sword fight and decided that one of us must have hooked the fish as it was lying on the deck with Mad Matt about to conk it with a winch handle.

With all the excitement of the day, we decided to turn around and start heading back. The captain and his good lady retired for a snooze (I suspect they had their drinks spiked by the first mate) and first mate Rols staged a one-man mutiny, banished yachmaster Brent to his handline in the corner and grabbed the wheel of the ship. Captain Rols whipped us into shape and had a constant supply of grog brought out to him at regular intervals with threats of keelhauling if we didn’t obey his orders. He spent a lot of time with his hand on the foghorn, swearing at tanker captains and accusing them of cutting into his lane. It was one of the finest cases of Wave Rage I have ever seen.

Small pods of porpoises teased me by disappearing the moment I picked up my camera. Seals appeared and disappeared and we passed flottilas of penguin’s foragging for food. Captain Wiets and Sue woke just before the harbour mouth and with their combined strength we managed to wrestle the wheel back from First Mate (once removed) Rols. Instead of throwing him in the Brig, Yachmaster Brent had him scaling masts, working winches and generally working off the grog. Once the sail was down, Captain Wiets took us for a guided tour around the harbour. Yachtmaster Brent took over for the final docking and it felt good but sad to be back on Mother Earth.

We washed the boat down from bow to stern and passed Captain’s inspection first time. Mad Matt kindly offered to clean and fillet the fish – I think he was just happy to have a knife in his hands again. We also checked his bags as he left the ship and managed to get the winch handle back without too much of a fight. It was one of the most enjoyable and memorable days I have had in a long time.

On a slightly more serious note, I would just like to thank everyone for the amazing day out!

To Wiets and Sue: Thank you so much for your generosity in inviting us, feeding us, giving us T-shirts and caps and generally making us feel at home on your beautiful yacht. Sorry we bloodied your boat but hopefully we can do it again sometime.

To Brent: Thanks for a great day out and for bringing us back safely. Apologies that us Landlubbers (Rols excluded) couldn’t have been more help.

To Mad Matt: Sorry for sitting on your fly rod – bummer. Thanks for risking life and limb boating fish, washing decks, fetching and carrying rods, undoing knots, dispatching fish (I know you enjoyed that part), cleaning and filleting them for us.

To Denton & Karl: Thanks for unselfishly sharing your time and knowledge and flies.

Last but not least to Rols: Thanks for the excellent breyani, organising, first mate duties and your great sense of humour – the trip wouldn’t have been the same without you.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Pics 1

Meeting to discuss Plan B

Denton sorting out Wiets's flyline

Mad Matt tackling up on the way out the harbour

Rols at the wheel

Start of an awesome day !

Rols doing his Titanic impersonation

Revelations

Slaapstad - can someone please turn off the lights
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 10:49 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Pics 2

Sue chilling

Damn this place is beautiful

Brent taking us out the harbour

Strike 1

Wiets

Rols waiting for the big one

On Dad

Mad Matt fighting his Yellowtail
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 10:53 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Pics 3

Mad Matt fighting his yellowtail

Yummy

Revelations under sail

The Crew

Me with a "tinfly" caught bonito

Wiets fighting his Boni

How the T-shirt stayed white I have no idea

Rols into his flying fish
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 10:58 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Pics 4

Mad Matt realises what it is and packs up laughing

Mad Matt performing C&R with the flying fish

Wiets se Plek

Captain Rols with his grog - notice the evil chuckle

Captain Rols on the way home

Yachtmaster Brent banished to his hand line

Captain Wiets finally back in control

Harbour in sight
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 11:02 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Default Revelations Tuna Hunt Pics 5

Yachtmaster Brent showing the uppity first mate a couple of tricks

Nearly Home

Brent packing the sail away

HUGE

HUGE 2

Mad Matt with his sushi

All done
    Last edited by dlampert; 15-05-08 at 11:05 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!!! Great report Darryl and spectacular photo's as usual! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Fantastic ! Nice to put some faces to names, and I'm glad you guys all had such a whale of a time ! Wiets - Next stop KZN !!!

Excelent trip report Darryl. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. This just makes me so sad again that I had to miss this trip
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast