Thread: Spinner

Default Spinner

During an outing this past weekend I saw something that changed my view on mayflies forever. I saw a hatch in gin clear water and I saw some returning spinners. Strange thing was that no fish were rising to the spent spinners. So, I sat down and watched.......drawing pictures in my mind.

Later that night I tied some spinners to best imitate what I saw.

Sorry for the bad picture quality. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by C J; 20-08-09 at 04:33 PM.

CJ, you could try and define the wings a little more perhaps. At the moment they perhaps don't show enough profile. Fish (trout) can get VERY selective when targeting spent spinners.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Try combing it before you tie it in to define it better, or you can use super hair or kinky fibre (saltwater materials) which are straight ... Keith Wallington tied a very nice MF Spinner with it.

Another option is to wrap the wings like you would a post and leave only the very ends fluffy, should still make it very buoyant, but there are better and more realistic ways of achieving the same I think.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Try combing it before you tie it in to define it better, or you can use super hair or kinky fibre (saltwater materials) which are straight ... Keith Wallington tied a very nice MF Spinner with it.

Another option is to wrap the wings like you would a post and leave only the very ends fluffy, should still make it very buoyant, but there are better and more realistic ways of achieving the same I think.
    I use very thin foam for my wings. The foam I use I find in the packing boxes of cheapo (street-corner) things like calculators etc.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yip, the foam works well.

SmallMouth rarely eat the spinners, so I don't really them and on the occasion that they do eat the spinners a parachute hackle is usually ok.

Murray has a theory that most dry flies ride too high out of the water thus causing an incorrect profile, so he likes to the the foam as a wrap over the hackle on the bottom of the thorax.

Interresting.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    CJ, you could try and define the wings a little more perhaps. At the moment they perhaps don't show enough profile. Fish (trout) can get VERY selective when targeting spent spinners.
    Ja...thats a problem I'm trying to sort out. Everytime I snip the poly yarn to size, it fluffs up like that. It floats like a dream......but yes, I agree that it could show a bit more profile. I'm thinking of tying one the same way but instead of poly yarn I'm going to use some cellophane (hope thats spelled right).

But, I dont think the oukies in the Vaal would be so full of nonsence.

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    i find bonnie harrop's biot parachute spinner the best to overcome this problem when fishing spinners, especially in bad light.
    Why, because of the bright white wings ?