Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Camouflage and stalking

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Mario, you mean that you DON'T use this technique? Very effective, especially in the rivers up your way. I'll have to show you sometime - you're in for a treat!
    Kevin, my limited skill does not allow for this technique yet. I have read a lot about it, seen it done, but still cannot master it.

My best method so far is to add as much weight to the leader, and just chuck it "bait-caster" style. It has worked well for me so far, and the splash of the sinker more than covers up any rod-flash.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

To be serious though Mario, 80% of my river fishing is upstream nymphing and dryfly fishing. However I have taken to walking back downstream at the end of the day and fishing a weighted #12 woolly bugger on a sinking leader at the best spots I fished on the way up. This has saved me from a blank day more than once. And it is very liberating to fish this way after having stared at an indicator all day!

To be serious though Mario, 80% of my river fishing is upstream nymphing and dryfly fishing. However I have taken to walking back downstream at the end of the day and fishing a weighted #12 woolly bugger on a sinking leader at the best spots I fished on the way up. This has saved me from a blank day more than once. And it is very liberating to fish this way after having stared at an indicator all day!
    Fishing beat 4 of the Elandspad, where you have to hike back through the water, allows for a Woolly Bugger to get its chance. Stripping a Woolly Bugger downstream through the head of a pool catch many a fish, often big fish. Rather than just hiking back I like to catch the odd fish. Bit of a non purist I guess

Nice tip Gael - matt varnish, good idea.
    Humbrol model airplane paints make a mat varnish that you could use to take out the shine of the varnish
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

I suspect you would not get the rod painted over a weekend if you do that
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3