Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Dave's Flexament

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marno View Post
    CJ,

    It is to make wing cases...
    Oooooh......now I'm with you. In that case try Loon's Head Cement. It's water soluble and after it's dry it's water insoluble. I usually treat a piece of feather before I use it for a wing case. Its flexable, so it allows you pre-treat a feather....because you can ty it in without going brittle or crack or what ever.

    Dont try and put the stuff on the finished fly. The other materials wil just suck it up and greate a very hard fly.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunninghill JHB
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    There are a few varieties of flex cement, when they are drie, they allow you to bend and work the wing case...

    Sally Hansens dries hard, it should not be used for wign cases...
    Mike McKeown

    You're either fishing or waiting...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marno View Post
    What does the Flexament and S Hansens cost?
    Flexement was about R40.00 when I last bought a few months ago. I would have still been on the same bottle after around 5 years if I hadn't forgotten it on my desk with the lid off for about 2 days !

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Yes, Shaun, can see you're an 'old campaigner' like myself - much the same's happened to me - at least twice on Flexament - you'd think I'd learn...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

    Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Oooooh......now I'm with you. In that case try Loon's Head Cement. It's water soluble and after it's dry it's water insoluble. I usually treat a piece of feather before I use it for a wing case. Its flexable, so it allows you pre-treat a feather....because you can ty it in without going brittle or crack or what ever.

    Dont try and put the stuff on the finished fly. The other materials wil just suck it up and greate a very hard fly.
    Hi CJ,

    I also use Loon's Head Cement to finish my flies, but find the Flexement works better for coating feathers. The Head cement takes ages to dry when you use a lot of it, like for coating feathers and it also seems to make the feather go a bit white/grey when it dries.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    180

    Default

    OK. Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just buy Fex cement and get it over with.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Yes, Shaun, can see you're an 'old campaigner' like myself - much the same's happened to me - at least twice on Flexament - you'd think I'd learn...
    Eish ! Yeah, I suppose it comes with the territory when tying flies late at night and forgetting stuff like that. I've been very good with my new bottle though, and never leave it open for long, as it does tend to get more viscious over time from standing open for periods of time, although I see you can get a special thinners for Flexement too, which is cool.

    Just a lesson for you guys, never try to use normal thinners or acetone to thin down Flexement, it turns into porridge.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Eish ! Yeah, I suppose it comes with the territory when tying flies late at night and forgetting stuff like that. I've been very good with my new bottle though, and never leave it open for long, as it does tend to get more viscious over time from standing open for periods of time, although I see you can get a special thinners for Flexement too, which is cool.

    Just a lesson for you guys, never try to use normal thinners or acetone to thin down Flexement, it turns into porridge.
    Hi Shaun
    You got a name for this thinners? Mine is a tad too thick at the moment
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Hi Shaun
    You got a name for this thinners? Mine is a tad too thick at the moment
    Rols, its made by the same guys who make Flexement. I saw it at Frontier a couple of months back, so I'm sure they still have some.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Without sounding facetious it's called Dave's Flexament Thinner. You're right, I think Frontier have some, also Flyfishers Unlimited - or they did some while back.

    It does the job!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

    Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •