Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Grunter Flies

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Two of the potential grunter takers attached, the one swims/walks in a forward direction and the other scatters backwards.

Both are based on the tying technique of MC's prawn, weighted in the abdomen area with foam in the head area. They swim the way intended to in my basin at home, with the weed guards supporting the fly. I'm busy working on a bloodworm imitation. I believe worm flies are underestimated, with very few good patterns around, all estuarine fish love bloodworm.
    Hi Fish

Did you ever get anywhere on your bloodowrm imitations? I tried one this weekend & caught a nice Mullet. Very similar to the one at this link:
    http://www.illawarraflyfishers.com.a.../bloodworm.htm The problem I have is that the chenille is too weak to hold the second hook, any thoughts?

Cheers

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

Stuck in a container in the desert with no internet or other outside contact bar a dodgy Thuraya, one has to improvise to pass the time or end up chewing the carpet and rocking gently. These are a first attempt from a tyro unable to even get that danged shoelace thing to work...

Default grunter on fly

hi guys
    only discovered this thread today, what an awesome read. some amazing prawns and tactics shared. if i can only stop this obsession with leeries i could maybe one day catch one of these babies. the closest i came to catching one was at De mond casting into tailing grunter with one of philips first incredible prawn imitations. obviously no luck otherwise i would be bragging on this post of to struis on monday for a couple of days, hopefully i can try for some grunter, conditions permitting off course.

Regards.

Anybody have any luck yet with their grunter/ steenbras flies.
    Apart from conrads attempts at de mond for steenbras i haven't heard of anybody catching.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Stuck in a container in the desert with no internet or other outside contact bar a dodgy Thuraya, one has to improvise to pass the time or end up chewing the carpet and rocking gently. These are a first attempt from a tyro unable to even get that danged shoelace thing to work...

Well done Lardo, good innovative stuff!

Does one fish from 'Ships Of The Desert'?

With all the natural material around maybe one can tie a Sand Fly imitation as well??..

When you coming back, man, will book the weekend off Chez Gil
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Sounds like mid August at this rate. Wet season here so the entire place is a swamp. Should have brought a fly rod to have a go in the river currently running past my window. Did you manage to frighten anything with one of those attempts?

Gil should be settled in the new place by the time one washes up on Johannesburg's golden beaches once again, so a jar or twelve is definitely on.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8