Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your most memorable Fishing Trip

Default Your most memorable Fishing Trip

About 2 years ago, my most memorable trip was when a mate and myself travelled 7500km's in three weeks.

We started in Phalaborwa, travelled to:

- Jozini - Tiger Fishing
    - Shelly Beach - Deep Sea
    - East London
    - PE - Skoenmaakerskop - Surf Fishing
    - Stilbaai
    - Garden Route - Fished Groenvlei for bass, Touws Rivier - Caught one small Moonie on fly, oh and decided to include Bloukrans Bungee Jump...never again thanks...
    - Capetown - Fished the Berg River in Franschoek for stream trout - used 6x tippet and dry flies, mainly caddis and para-adams
    - Up the Westcoast to Clanwilliam for SM Bass
    - Then ended up at Tietiesbaai and braaied with Hardekool we brought with us all the way from "Phala-gat"...

Finally back to Phalies...

All in all, terrific trip, caught plenty and phuza'd too much....went through the photos last night....good laugh..
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Impressive!

I'll talk about a days fishing at the Vaal, me and a friend camped over the weekend. Caught about 40 fish between us in the streams on the Saturday. Sunday I caught the BIG SM in a deep pool using an imitation baitfish. Till this day I can't exactly remember how big it was. No photo, and nobody was with me. As soon as it striked the fly I knew it was big (because I used a baitfish patern). Was on the line for about 15minutes. Biggest adrenaline rush since Bloukrans (he he)

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post
    Impressive!

I'll talk about a days fishing at the Vaal, me and a friend camped over the weekend. Caught about 40 fish between us in the streams on the Saturday. Sunday I caught the BIG SM in a deep pool using an imitation baitfish. Till this day I can't exactly remember how big it was. No photo, and nobody was with me. As soon as it striked the fly I knew it was big (because I used a baitfish patern). Was on the line for about 15minutes. Biggest adrenaline rush since Bloukrans (he he)
    My biggest LM was about 30cm's...my 1st to be precise...I shall never forget that fishie....caught him at the Vaal/Orange river confluence...he slammed the Wooly Bugger so hard he flippen hooked himself...

Bloukrans bungee....out of 13 people....I was number one....so bungee is scratched off my list and I do not need to do it again!!!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hehehe, my most memorable trip will propably be the first time I tried my hand seriously at FF for yellows.

It was about 3 years back in Kimberley, got to the river with my brand new kit, saw another bloke there klapping the fish left right and centre.

I decided to start downstream and wade my way up the river to the train bridge and did not have huge expectations. Much to my delight I landed over 10 yellows in just 2 hours!

Best virgin outing you could have asked for! That first trip and the success there has led me through some very dry blank spells.

Month long trip from CT up to Transkei. Waving 9#'s all day every day catching GTs, Yellowfin Kingies, Wave garrick, pickhandles and others. Then drove down to Kenton for a week catching Kob, grunter etc. Then down to Knysna for a few days for Leerie. Sun, Sand, friends and fishing... couldn't get better! Will always remember it!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

HI ALL,

About 8yrs ago during the june/july school holidays (swambos a teacher), being bored and work slow I finely cracked ''Pack'', we are going away to ff I barked. She did'nt take me seriouse until she saw me packing my ff stuff.

The car gassed up we were on our way. DESTINATION: DONT KNOW!! When I reached Cradock I decided to rather change direction and headed for Queenstown, then on to Maclear. A trip if planned would have been much shorter, but who cares were not now bored at home.

Wanting to go to Rhodes we were soon told that my Audi A6 would battle on the roads that lay ahead. So Maclear it was. After finding good accomadation we settled in and met a few locals who also said that the rivers where closed for ff, but feeling sorry for us after hearing how we decided the trip, soon organised ff river venues for my stay.

This area is stunning, with great rivers to fish. Due to a dry spell the rivers were low with nearly no flow. For days I ff these rivers and BLANKED. Took some pretty pics though.

On the way home eventually I stopped over at Aloe Grove outside Queenstown and booked in for a couple of days of stillwater ff. Hooked some good trout here including the one I posted in another thread which had the head of a snake in its belly with hundreds of bloodworm as well.

On getting back home and still today we both laugh at this ff trip. Was the best trip we've ever made.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Good one, Dave, I'd only suggest you add 'so far....' after 'ever made' at the end of your fine memory!!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Good one, Dave, I'd only suggest you add 'so far....' after 'ever made' at the end of your fine memory!!!
    You got that right Chris, I still do impulsive trips today, but to known venues.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

What, not 'unknowns' like 'River X' or 'Dam Z'?..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    What, not 'unknowns' like 'River X' or 'Dam Z'?..
    Like I said, I know them.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast