Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exmouth, Ningaloo Reef, WA

Default Exmouth, Ningaloo Reef, WA

Check out the website: www.truebluebonefish.com.au. Has anyone been there? Is anybody going soon? Looks like a ripper, Mate!!?

hi there, Jono is the guy to speak to, he lives in Auzz.

garage/mike has also been there, have a chat to him as well
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

There is an good article in the latest TCFF about the bone fishing etc. in Exmouth, AUS.

Cheers
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by gwbfrank View Post
    Check out the website: www.truebluebonefish.com.au. Has anyone been there? Is anybody going soon? Looks like a ripper, Mate!!?
    Juan and Garage went a couple months back

PM them for details

We should all meet up there and go for a fish.

What if I get mine and another boat over there and setup camp, any of you guys interested in putting your gear to some good use?

Perth is an 8 hour flight from Jhb, Exmouth is a little over 1 hour flight from Perth. In other words, you could be chasing permit, milkfish, bones monster GTs and sailfish in Western Australia quicker than it would take you to drive to Cape Town.

*Drooling at the thought*

Jono - aren't you on the other side of the continent? That's a helluva long way to move a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    We should all meet up there and go for a fish.

What if I get mine and another boat over there and setup camp, any of you guys interested in putting your gear to some good use?

Perth is an 8 hour flight from Jhb, Exmouth is a little over 1 hour flight from Perth. In other words, you could be chasing permit, milkfish, bones monster GTs and sailfish in Western Australia quicker than it would take you to drive to Cape Town.
    I'd love to come along but that neck of the woods has bad memories for me! I nearly got wiped out along with our 27,000t bulk carrier (two footie pitch lengths long) having loaded cargo in Geraldton, on to Shark Bay (near Exmouth) to load salt. We hit a cyclone which took out the only other (bigger) ship in the area, all hands lost, tht didn't have a chance to heed the cyclone warning. My plan of fishing Exmouth area was scuppered as we had to 'quarter' down to the Antarctic and south-about to Brisbane to load the balance of the cargo before heading off to the US Gulf. Sod's Law, we hit the tail-end of another cyclone past the Bass Strait and limped into Brisbane with no radio mast (137 ft above water level,) and missing the two for'ward hatch covers...

The 'trip' took us twice as long as usual, the crew were Pakistani Muslims (great guys, but no booze apart from a rusty 6-pack of Heineken I ferreted out in the store-room...) - we did save one from death in the engine room when our main engine's one cylinder liner blew as our prop was out of the wate rand running too fast for too long.. This dude tried to stabilize the new liner (2 tons's worth..) as we tried to lower it into it's slot. If it had missed it would have gone through the hull and I would'nt be here to recount this. The gallant dude put his body in the way but luckily we managed to 'slot' the liner in with the aid of about a dozen handling ropes. I managed to sleep for the odd hour or so by putting pillows in between the cabin door and the bulkhead, and tying the door tight with rope so I could sleep standing up. For two days we were simply 'white'outed' and couldn't see past the bridge, and when you could see the swells, they simply rolled down the deck and smashed into the bridge. Terrible stuff, rather like that crab fishermen programme and the 'Perfect Storm' film...

And the only book I had to read was David Hughes' wonderful history 'The Fateful Shores' - about all the early shipwrecks and convicts...

Anywhere but Exmouth/North West Auss please - unless it's shore fishing!

M/V 'Linda K' - 1988...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

WOW Chris .... that sounds rather like Joseph Conrad's 'Typhoon" .. only REAL .... and Mussies instead of "Coolies" ... scary stuff!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

'Twas even worse than the famed Landzicht Missionary Society's trek over the ox-wagons' viaduct at a place only known as 'X' two Amstel's drive from Douglas...

Suffice to say I wasn't motivated to troll a Rapala off the stern....
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

"Nobody -- not even Captain MacWhirr, who alone on deck had caught sight of a white line of foam coming on at such a height that he couldn't believe his eyes -nobody was to know the steepness of that sea and the awful depth of the hollow the hurricane had scooped out behind the running wall of water.
    It raced to meet the ship, and, with a pause, as of girding the loins, the Nan-Shan lifted her bows and leaped. The flames in all the lamps sank, darkening the engine-room. One went out. With a tearing crash and a swirling, raving tumult, tons of water fell upon the deck, as though the ship had darted under the foot of a cataract.
    Down there they looked at each other, stunned.
    "Swept from end to end, by ***!" bawled Jukes.
    She dipped into the hollow straight down, as if going over the edge of the world. The engine-room toppled forward menacingly, like the inside of a tower nodding in an earthquake. An awful racket, of iron things falling, came from the stokehold. She hung on this appalling slant long enough for Beale to drop on his hands and knees and begin to crawl as if he meant to fly on all fours out of the engine-room, and for Mr. Rout to turn his head slowly, rigid, cavernous, with the lower jaw dropping. Jukes had shut his eyes, and his face in a moment became hopelessly blank and gentle, like the face of a blind man.
    At last she rose slowly, staggering, as if she had to lift a mountain with her bows................. "

GREAT stuff ... I am sure you will apprecaite this stuff Chris!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast