Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Size 32 Parachute Mayfly Step by Step

i just showed my kids
    they said "how'd he get that right?" walked away to give my answer....he's Fing mad
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Benja View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    I showed this to a friend and he asked what was the point? I flies this small actually fishable? Although he doesnt flyfish (yet...) he does know a bit about papgooiing and was wondering how do you keep the hook set?
    I have never used as small as THIS .. but those ultra small hooks penetrate instantly ... and certainly hold up to the strength of the leader one has to use!!

My biggest Rainbow (7.5lb Wild Fish) was caught on a #22 .. YEH YEH .. I KNOW that is like a Tunny Hook compared to THIS ... but it worked!!

Trouble is at my age I would NEVER manage to get leader through the eyes!

Darryl - have you considered tying those small flies with an integrated leader? ... as some people do ... it makes sense to me
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Thats incredible! Well done
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    "Darryl's Micro Piercings"
    Barbed nogal

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I think you should babysit more often Darryl. You get upto some really interesting stuff when homebound I see. Those are AWESOME man! I thought my #28's were small, but eish, those take the cake! I didn't actually know that you could get smaller than #28 until now. Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
    Yeah Chris, got to do it again in a couple of weeks time when the wife heads up to JHB for 3 or 4 days. Anyone got any smaller hooks ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Shaun, here is another comparison for you:

The little guy is the TMC518 #32, next is a TMC100 #28, then a Grip 11011BL #18 and finally a 9/0 Tuna hook.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

My thoughts exactly
    I showed this to a friend and he asked what was the point? I flies this small actually fishable?
    I tie these little guys for fun and for the challenge of doing it. About 17 years ago I bought an all in one flytying kit from Solly's in Vereeniging. The plan was that my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) would tie some flies for me as I couldn't visualise how I (6'5" with baseball mitt hands and dodgy eyesight) could ever tie a fly. Time has moved on a bit and the eyesight has got worse but fly tying like most things in life, often seems a lot harder than it actually is. You just apply the same basic techniques as you would to tie any other fly - just try and reduce the number of thread wraps.

As for them being fishable, read Ed Engles Tying Small Flies and Fishing Small Flies - people do catch fish on these exact hooks. Will attempt it later in the year and take some pics when I do.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have never used as small as THIS .. but those ultra small hooks penetrate instantly ... and certainly hold up to the strength of the leader one has to use!!

My biggest Rainbow (7.5lb Wild Fish) was caught on a #22 .. YEH YEH .. I KNOW that is like a Tunny Hook compared to THIS ... but it worked!!

Trouble is at my age I would NEVER manage to get leader through the eyes!

Darryl - have you considered tying those small flies with an integrated leader? ... as some people do ... it makes sense to me
    Hi Jasper,

Doubt I will fish them often enough to worry about it. When I find my Stroft tippet I will see if I can get it through the eye.

Rgds,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Jasper,

Doubt I will fish them often enough to worry about it. When I find my Stroft tippet I will see if I can get it through the eye.

Rgds,
    Darryl
    I have 100m of that very tippet if you cannot find yours!! ... you're welcome to come wind 25m or so off the reel
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Hehe being between 1.9-1.95m myself I share your sentiment
    But although I've been tying for little over a month now, I've managed to tie a couple of fairly decent looking #16 (huge in comparison to this of coarse) and going to try 18 and 20 soon.

Man I just love fly tying, endless possibilities!!!
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Jasper,

Rgds,
    Darryl
    Hi Darryl. I'll happily introduce you to my ultimate shock absorbing leader connection to protect your ultra fine tippet when next I see you. 100 mm of shock absorbing stretch is what you'll get, enough protection to fish a 8X tippet with absolute confidence everytime!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 24-05-08 at 09:47 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have 100m of that very tippet if you cannot find yours!! ... you're welcome to come wind 25m or so off the reel
    Thanks Jasper, I may take you up on that.

Hehe being between 1.9-1.95m myself I share your sentiment
    But although I've been tying for little over a month now, I've managed to tie a couple of fairly decent looking #16 (huge in comparison to this of coarse) and going to try 18 and 20 soon.

Man I just love fly tying, endless possibilities!!!
    Give yourself 6 months and you will see that 20's will become quite large

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Darryl. I'll happily introduce you to my ultimate shock absorbing leader connection to protect your ultra fine tippet when next I see you. 100 mm of shock absorbing stretch is what you'll get, enough protection to fish a 8X tippet with absolute confidence everytime!
    Thanks Chris, having just learnt how to tie a bimini you now want to mess with my mind some more - kewl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast