Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Size 32 Parachute Mayfly Step by Step

Thanks Chris, having just learnt how to tie a bimini you now want to mess with my mind some more - kewl [/QUOTE]

i think you tied about 6 to 8 bimini's and i can't remember one
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    i think you tied about 6 to 8 bimini's and i can't remember one
    Thats cause you were more interested in mutiny !
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Default tiny hooks

As Darryl mentioned I got in quite a few REALLY small hooks. After reading Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies" I have been fascinated with tying on smaller and smaller hooks...

Here is another pic to illustrate the size of some of these hooks

The gape on the small tiemco hooks is very good, the gape on a Grip 24 dry fly hook and on the Tiemco 32 are about the same size...

If you guys think tying on these are scary, you should have seen the photographic setup used for taking the step-by-step sequence, hehe

From left to right:

Grip 11011BL - size 18
    Tiemco 100 - size 24
    Tiemco 518 - size 32 - I suspect it might take some time to tie on the tippet for these
    Regulation size South African LION safety match...
    Tiemco 200R - size 22 (tiny hopper hook, to tie some micro stimulators and glass bead nymphs...)
    Tiemco 2487 - size 24 (tiny scud/caddis hook)

Last edited by ebf; 24-05-08 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    As Darryl mentioned I got in quite a few REALLY small hooks. After reading Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies" I have been fascinated with tying on smaller and smaller hooks...

Here is another pic to illustrate the size of some of these hooks

The gape on the small tiemco hooks is very good, the gape on a Grip 24 dry fly hook and on the Tiemco 32 are about the same size...

If you guys think tying on these are scary, you should have seen the photographic setup used for taking the step-by-step sequence, hehe

From left to right:

Grip 11011BL - size 18
    Tiemco 100 - size 24
    Tiemco 518 - size 32 - I suspect it might take some time to tie on the tippet for these
    Regulation size South African LION safety match...
    Tiemco 200R - size 22 (tiny hopper hook, to tie some micro stimulators and glass bead nymphs...)
    Tiemco 2487 - size 24 (tiny scud/caddis hook)

Hi Eben,

Awesome man, thanks for the comparison.

Like you, I've also been collecting some smaller hooks to tie on, although for me its been more like #18-#22's.

Just something I thought I'd share with you around the 200R, is that I was told by several reliable sources not to go beyond #16 with this particular hook size as it's hookup rate seems to fall quite dramatically when you go smaller. I wanted to use this hook to tie up some really smally nymphs, but after hearing this from a local source, and then again from 2 guys overseas, I think there may be something to this.

Thanks Shaun, will report back on the 200R's later in the year.

The past season I caught some mini trout (< 10cm) on size 16 & 18 stimulators, want to take it down a notch or two and see if I can hook, play and land one shorter than my pinky

Ah, they were probably talking about using them to fish for larger fish, so there's probably no issue then. Eish ! only a real nutter would be aiming to catch the smallest fish they possibly could !!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Thanks Shaun, will report back on the 200R's later in the year.

The past season I caught some mini trout (< 10cm) on size 16 & 18 stimulators, want to take it down a notch or two and see if I can hook, play and land one shorter than my pinky
    Like this?

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I think you should babysit more often Darryl. You get upto some really interesting stuff when homebound I see. Those are AWESOME man! I thought my #28's were small, but eish, those take the cake! I didn't actually know that you could get smaller than #28 until now. Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
    Darryl & Chris,

Try getting some TMC 2487 #26 or TMC 2488 #30 - these are fine wire scud hooks, with a short shank - overall shank length is no longer thna the TMC 518 #32, but the gape is a lot better for hookups...
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Darryl & Chris,

Try getting some TMC 2487 #26 or TMC 2488 #30 - these are fine wire scud hooks, with a short shank - overall shank length is no longer thna the TMC 518 #32, but the gape is a lot better for hookups...
    Thanks Gary, will look at getting some on my next order.

Rgds,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Darryl & Chris,

See picture of fish on a #26 scud parachute adams (= #30 regular shank)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast