Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ideal setup?

I am looking at casting the Vision 3zone 10ft 5wt and i also like the look of the Vision Koma Reel!

Apparently its got a decent drag system and the setup wont break the bank!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Byron, why would you choose Vaal rod for speed?
    Sorry see my edit, I think we posted over each other - I actually chose it for still waters, but now I just love the way it bashes yellows. A softer rod is far better for yellows, but you need the balance between spine and sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sorry see my edit, I think we posted over each other - I actually chose it for still waters, but now I just love the way it bashes yellows. A softer rod is far better for yellows, but you need the balance between spine and sensitivity.
    Yeah 100% in agreement.

If I were buying a new rod for the Vaal now I'd be looking at a 10ft either the Greys (Andre - I liked yours), I also really like the Albright - not sure that it is a ten footer but the action is great, or by the sounds of it the Vision.

Alas I have other spending priorities at the moment - maybe for next summer.

I love my 10' 5WT TFO Professional, but it's definately heavier than the same length and WT rating on say the Stealth. Additionally it has a big backbone but is also definately slower in action than some of the others mentioned.

It's great for long lines, wouldn't be my first choice for competitive angling for SmallMouth in November on the Vaal.

I totally dissagree with the statement that a camo line is a bad idea for three reasons ...

1) Riddle me this ... if you're going to be competition fishing on the Vaal, how much line will you ever have on the water in any event ?

2) What contrasts better with a drab line than a brightly coloured tip, which is what you will be watching anyway ?

3) Again, how will the camo colour negatively affect your watching of the line tip when you're catching fish within 5M of your person and watching the line tip ?

The 10' rods are slightly different to the 9' in terms of landing fish, I'm yet to be convinced that the extra foot makes any huge difference in terms of water coverage when using short line techniques. It does however make a big difference when you have a full line out and have to mend your drift across multiple currents, again, this would not apply in competitive angling.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Hi guys,

I've never fished for yellowfish before , I know.

What is the ideal setup to fish for yellows in the Vaal?
    1. Rod length?
    2. Rod weight?
    3. Reel?
    4. Line?
    5. Leader?

Ideal, as is not breaking the bank, but not breaking the blank on the first outing either

Cheers
    Two cents coming up…

Rod - 9 foot
    Weight - 4 – 5 – 6
    Reels - Light weight, doesn’t have to have miles of backing, nor a high line recovery rate
    Line - Floating, nymph tapper preferably
    Leader - 9 foot, 3X, tippet 4X to 6X

Horizon have a great stick/kit to start with…

But this is the general set up you should be using on large still waters too, I like a lighter stick for dry fly fishing and/or tough fishing…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Hi guys,

I've never fished for yellowfish before , I know.

What is the ideal setup to fish for yellows in the Vaal?
    1. Rod length?
    2. Rod weight?
    3. Reel?
    4. Line?
    5. Leader?

Ideal, as is not breaking the bank, but not breaking the blank on the first outing either

Cheers
    Rod length = 9 foot
    Rod weight? = 5wt
    Reel? = 5/6 wt, large arbour, sealed disc or cork drag (or click and pawl is good too, if your budget is tight)
    Line? = Double Taper (DT) 5wt Floating, ideally darker colours (WF second choice)
    Leader? = 9 foot, straight 5KG Maxima Ultragreen (cheap and works a treat) coupled with tippets of 3X, 4X and 5X. (For dry fly though, a 9 foot tapered leader is better though, to turn over the fly better. I tie up my own leaders, as follows: 1m x 10KG Maxima Ultragreen, 50cm x 7KG Maxima UG, 50cm x 5.5KG Maxima UG, 50cm x 4.5KG Maxima UG, and 50cm 1X tippet.)

This setup is good for Czech nymphing, New Zealand Style fishing, and Dry Fly fishing. In my mind a 9 foot rod is more sensitive than a 10 foot rod for Czech nymphing too. And casting a 9 ft rod is not as tiring as a 10 ft rod all day when you are dry fly fishing. I like a medium action rod for CZN and NZ style...fast action rods are not optimal in my opinion.

You don't need a top-of-the-range rod for the Vaal, in fact I prefer my Albright A-5 5piece rod for CZN to my Sage Z-Axis, because it has a medium action and feels more sensitive. It's slightly lighter too. On Sterkfontein when the wind is really pumping I prefer the Z-Axis though. On the Vaal, the Albright is my go-to rod, because of the more medium action.

Regards
    Mike

Thanks guys.

Loads to take into consideration. I have a Vision 3Zone 9'0 6wt as my stillwater rod with a TFO TiCR 7wt as my backup rod.

Scythe, you're right, I'm looking at it from a competitive angling point of view.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I am one of the Vision 3zone 5wt 10ft converts.
    Grant, I see the GT4 comes in a 10' 5wt, but not the 3Zone. Where did you get yours?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Thanks guys.

Loads to take into consideration. I have a Vision 3Zone 9'0 6wt as my stillwater rod with a TFO TiCR 7wt as my backup rod.

Scythe, you're right, I'm looking at it from a competitive angling point of view.
    that 6w will do nicely...

Competitive - huh - sorry what??? you turning to the darkside????
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast