Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBS - Green Tailed Straggle Kate McLaren

Default SBS - Green Tailed Straggle Kate McLaren

Green Tailed Straggle Kate McLaren

This fly is a variation on the Green Tailed Kate McLaren which is a very popular wet fly pattern in Scotland, fishing for brown trout on the lochs. The Green Tailed Kate McLaren itself is a variation on the Kate McLaren which is originally tied with a golden pheasant crest tail.

I have found it to be quite successful on local trout stillwaters. It can be fished succesfully in a multitude of ways, from deep to just under the surface.

This fly uses straggle fritz material which is not readily available here and would probably need to be sourced from online stores in the UK. It is a much sparser form of fritz material.

Hook - #10 Grip 12003
    Thread – 8/0 thread - Black
    Tail – Globrite floss - Lime (No 12)
    Body – UV Straggle Fritz - Black
    Hackle – Hen Hackle - Tan

Step 1
    Debarb the hook, place it in the vice and tie on the thread

Step 2
    Fold over the glo brite floss a couple of times and tie it in at the bend of the hook.

Step 3
    Trim the floss to form the tail.

Step 4
    Tie in the UV Straggle fritz.

Step 5
    Wrap the Straggle fritz forward to the eye and secure it with a few thread wraps.

Step 6
    Tie in a hen hackle, make three wraps and secure it. Make a nice head with thread which will push the hackle fibres backwards over the body. Fly done!

Last edited by gkieser; 01-06-08 at 10:34 PM.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Very nicely done Grant, looks like an awesome fly! If I had to make one change, I'd use a softer hackle up front. The hackle you used looks like it could be a bit on the stiff side? Not criticism, just comment.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Nice fly Grant,I would change the colour scheme a bit,tail-red or golden floss/silk,body- olive cactus chinelle,hackle-blue dun or grizzly.A good fly to try for yellows on the Fish River.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Very nicely done Grant, looks like an awesome fly! If I had to make one change, I'd use a softer hackle up front. The hackle you used looks like it could be a bit on the stiff side? Not criticism, just comment.
    Thanks Boet. Yes the hackle is supposed to be soft - it doesn't seem to look it in the pics though.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

May I ask,is the Globrite floss locally avilable and is the price of the floss reasonable or expensive?Also is there any advantage of using UV staggle Fritz over cactus-chinelle?The colour scheme I mentioned is an adaption that came to mind for yellowfish and I thought of sharing it with the forum.I'm by no means trying to write off the fly as posted by Grant.
    Last edited by Halfstone; 01-06-08 at 07:02 PM.

I know you can't get the glo-brite floss in cape town but you might be able to get it in jhb. I was sent some by a very kind man in scotland.

I think it is quite an inexpensive item.

I guess the Straggle fritz is like a cross between fritz and hackle - it is much sparser than cactus chenille so it moves more tham the fritz material will move, and will push less water.

I would be very interested to see the fly you are talking about though. Any chance of a picture, or even better, a SBS?

My flytying material range is a bit low at the moment,so I'll have to improvise and make some home made "dubbing".I'll try to get a SBS in by the end of the week.

Nice fly Grant, I like that floss !
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

FlyFanatic Banned User

got an idea just now looking at these photos.. what if u used an old tape's lint and make ur own fritz?? do you guys think that could work?? just a thought..

HI Grant, that is a very good looking fly. That golden pheasant hackle is much softer than it looks on the pics. Will tie some for sure.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast