Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: General Yellow Queries

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase the water by itself has no drag. Once an object is in contact with the water it causes drag. Scientifically it has however been proven that the closer one gets to the riverbed the less drag there would be. That is the specific zone where the fish lay for a couple of reasons like saving energy and harvesting food.
    Go check out this link to see full proof of my opinion.
    http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/cla...rViscosity.htm
    Yip, understanding all of this, but between your flies and reel there is still some line, which passes through all the sheets of water that flows at diffifent rates, which means that the line ultimately gets pushed againsts which causes drag. So the question asked about would more knots and that bulky cylinder shaped dropper gadget cause more drag, is a pretty valid question to which the answer would probably be marginally more drag yes. To get all those knots down to the river bed where there is less drag, means it all has to pass through all the faster flowing water in the top layers of water flow. Once on the river bed water in the the higher flow zone will still push against the line and knots that leads up to your rod and reel. Thus my conclusion of there is always drag present and it needs to be managed by the angler.

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Yip, understanding all of this, but between your flies and reel there is still some line, which passes through all the sheets of water that flows at diffifent rates, which means that the line ultimately gets pushed againsts which causes drag. So the question asked about would more knots and that bulky cylinder shaped dropper gadget cause more drag, is a pretty valid question to which the answer would probably be marginally more drag yes. To get all those knots down to the river bed where there is less drag, means it all has to pass through all the faster flowing water in the top layers of water flow. Once on the river bed water in the the higher flow zone will still push against the line and knots that leads up to your rod and reel. Thus my conclusion of there is always drag present and it needs to be managed by the angler.
    I couldn't agree more! - most drag is caused by your fly line on the water, I would add, the rest is micro, I guess we will have to start going "wireless" now??/
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    I couldn't agree more! - most drag is caused by your fly line on the water, I would add, the rest is micro, I guess we will have to start going "wireless" now??/
    yes, wireless is the in thing now we'll have to work on on our Jedi skills so we can get our flies down, feel the bite strike and then elevate the fish out of the water

lol, ja I guess we won't need rods nor reel then!
    No PAIN No Gain

The reason I asked about "drag" is that when I fish SLN or CZN style my fly line is no where near the water and only the 2x flouro leader itself is in the water with a single dropper. There is almost no "drag" and using this technique I am able to elevate or lower my rod tip to keep in contact with the bottom and feel the bites - I dont use a strike indicator.

I was worried about the cylinder interfering with this technique like pieterkriel mentioned and me then not fishing where i think I'm fishing.

Where can I get these cylinders - best way to learn is too experiment? Sorry that I ask so mnay questions but Fronteir and solly's in fourways didnt have any but they did have an ultegra reel on special which became my christmas present to myself
    Check your knots!

You could just always use a revolving dropper knot instead of the cyllinder ...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

The revolving dropper rings are manufactured by Hends.

Sean did not bring any in with the shipment that arrived last week, but maybe give him a call and he will include some in the next shipment. I hear that they will do a really big order in the new year. I suspect that these things are going to be on the expensive side, so brace yourself.

I will also try these for social fishing. Looks like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    The revolving dropper rings are manufactured by Hends.

Sean did not bring any in with the shipment that arrived last week, but maybe give him a call and he will include some in the next shipment. I hear that they will do a really big order in the new year. I suspect that these things are going to be on the expensive side, so brace yourself.

I will also try these for social fishing. Looks like a good idea.

MC does anyone else bring them in ?

sound's like something I'd like to try .

Tye

Jan Siman from the Czech Rep also sells them. I believe that Flyfishers Unlimited (Tel 011 4672034) are the new agents for Siman products, so you should maybe give them a call. I am not sure whether they carry stock of this item yet. They do however stock a good range of the other Siman products.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Tye

Jan Siman from the Czech Rep also sells them. I believe that Flyfishers Unlimited (Tel 011 4672034) are the new agents for Siman products, so you should maybe give them a call. I am not sure whether they carry stock of this item yet. They do however stock a good range of the other Siman products.

Cheers
    MC
    thanks MC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast