Tail: Marabou, Section of Mallard flank feather
    Abdomen: Aftershaft/Filoplume feathers from Ringneck Pheasant
    Thorax: Dubbing
    Legs: Back feather from Ringneck Pheasant
    Wing Case: Church Window feather from Ringneck Pheasant
    Eyes: 100lb burned mono
    Rib: Copper Wire

Step 1:

Dress the hook shank with thread down to just above the barb.

Step 2:

Tie in a marabou feather from your Ringneck pheasant skin, or else try to find one that matches the colour of your aftershaft feathers. Tie it in at the tail, and tie in a section of a mallard flank feather on top of the marabou tail.

Step 3:

Tie in a length of copper wire and secure, along with the marabou all the way up to where the abdomen will start. Then tie in your burned mono eyes, making sure you leave enough space in front of them to finish off the head.

Step 4:

Tie in your first aftershaft feather by the tip. Attach your hackle pliers to the base of the feather and wrap forward, stroking the barbs back on each turn so that you don't trap any. Go slowly and carefully as these feathers are extremely delicate and snapping one means removing it and restarting.

When you reach the end of the feather, tie it off with 2 wraps to secure.

Step 5:

Repeat step 4 until you reach the start of the abdomen. You'll need approximately 8-10 feathers to complete a #8 sized fly, excluding any breakages.

Step 6:

Rib the abdome with the copper wire, making sure not to trap any of the filoplume barbs, then prepare and tie in a back feather by the tips and make 2 turns. Stroke the barbs so that there are an equal number on either side of the fly.

Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:39 PM.

Step 7:

Prepare a Church Window feather from below the neck of the Ringneck Pheasant, by stripping off all the webby flue. Place it concave side up on top of the hook shank, with the tips facing forward. Make a single turn of thread over the bare section of the feather, then slowly pull the feather backwards, until just the tips remain trapped. Make several turns to secure.

Step 8:

Mix some dubbing to be slightly darker than the abdomen. Dub a thorax and head, then pull the wingcase over the thorax and head and secure. Whip finish and tie off.

Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:40 PM.

i hope you charged them a "re-tye fee" after they lost the steps
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    i hope you charged them a "re-tye fee" after they lost the steps
    Heh ! The first time I did it I typed a lang storie about where and how to harvest the aftershaft feathers. Buggered if I was going to do that again !

that info was damn good though......pretty please???
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Heh ! The first time I did it I typed a lang storie about where and how to harvest the aftershaft feathers. Buggered if I was going to do that again !
    Nice fly Shaun, i just add a flatter body method you missed while you were gone and a more pronounced wing. But i tie this one to. Send Wiets this one and my one.

They are awsome!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Shaun,

Have you found Olive Marabou to be more successful than Brown Marabou?

Or would u reckon any colour is sufficient depending on the colour of the natural found in your / my area?

Thanks
    Gerrit

Shaun, next to your classic fly tying, the photos....ek kan my verkyk an elke veer...

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Shaun,

Have you found Olive Marabou to be more successful than Brown Marabou?

Or would u reckon any colour is sufficient depending on the colour of the natural found in your / my area?

Thanks
    Gerrit
    Hi Gerrit,

I tie this fly in brown and olive but tend to fish the olive ones more often as I've obviously subconsciously built up more confidence in them over time. Also, when I've taken the time to go digging around weedbeds looking for insects, the dragon nymphs I find in this part of the world seem to be mostly mottled olive, and get darker in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Shaun, next to your classic fly tying, the photos....ek kan my verkyk an elke veer...
    Hi Pierre, please forgive this Soutie, maar ek verstaan nie lekker wat jy vir my se nie. My Afrikaans is nie meer so goed nie, want ek kry nie baie kans om dit te gebruik sedert ek na Durban toe getrek het.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast