Thread: Baetis Nymph - Step-By-Step

Default Baetis Nymph - Step-By-Step

Baetis Nymph

Receipe
    Hook: TMC200R #16
    Thread: UTC 70 in your colour of choice
    Tail: Partridge Feather Barbs
    Abdomen: D-Rib (Small)
    Thorax: Wapsi Awesome Possum Dubbing (Dark Olive)
    Wing Case: Medallion Sheeting (Hopper Olive)
    Legs: Partridge Feather

Step1:

Dress the hook with thread and tie in around 5-10 partridge feather barbs for the tail.

Step2:

Tie in a piece of D-Rib at the tail, and form a tapered thread underbody up to about 1/3 the length of the hook shank from the hook eye.

Step3:

Wrap the D-Rib forward, stretching it very tight for the first couple of turns, and then gradually releasing some of the tension, and then tie off at the end of the tapered underbody you created.

Step4:

Take a Partridge feather, cut the tip out so it forms a "V" in between the barbs, and then tie in so that the "V" points forward over the hook eye, and trim the excess.

Step5:

Lift the Partidge barbs and dub a thorax around them.

Step6:

Cut a section of Medallion sheeting, about 1cm long and about 1/3 of the hook gape wide. Tie it in at the hook eye, then take one turn of thread under the thorax and catch the wingcase at the rear, then make one more turn under the thorax, taking the thread back to the hook eye. Whip Finish and apply head cement. Finally, grip the excess medallion sheeting at the rear of the wing case, and folding it it half with your fingers, cut it diagionally downwards at an angle. This should produce two pointy wing buds at the rear of the wing case.

Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:44 PM.

Nice fly and SBS Shaun !
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

MMmmm... Mayfly's... top to bottom.... MMmmmmmm

Great Fly
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    MMmmm... Mayfly's... top to bottom.... MMmmmmmm

Great Fly
    I think I fell in love with half the patterns in that book the first time I saw them. Just up my alley ! Last night was the first time I actually got a chance to sit down and try tying up a few. Hopefully I'll get around to trying some more in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    I think I fell in love with half the patterns in that book the first time I saw them. Just up my alley ! Last night was the first time I actually got a chance to sit down and try tying up a few. Hopefully I'll get around to trying some more in the next couple of weeks.
    Same problem... love the patterns... havent tied one yet... I want it to be just right...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

This particular fly isn't new to me though, as I've been tying up some of my Flashback Nymphs almost identically for ages. The only thing new to me was the use of the Medallion Sheeting for a wing case, and having to tie it in from the front instead of the back.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 02-06-08 at 08:32 AM.

Nice looking fly, great SBS.

What would the motivation be for tying the wingcase in arse end first, to get the stubby wing buds thing happening ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Nice looking fly, great SBS.

What would the motivation be for tying the wingcase in arse end first, to get the stubby wing buds thing happening ?
    You mean front side first as opposed to the usual rear side first then pull forward ? If so, then yes, you can't get the wing buds happening if the wing case is attached directly to the hook shank at the back. You need to pull it back over the bulk of the thorax.

Ok, that's hy I asked. For my money the single wrap won't be all that sturdy, so what I do when trying to get wingbuds and a thorax from the same piece of material is to:

Shape the bud prior to tying in
    Trap the sheet flat on the shank with two wraps wingbuds at right length
    Fold forward facing end backwards over previous two wraps
    Trap with another two or three wraps
    Dub thorax in usual manner
    Pull forward over thoras and tie off

Works well and is absolutely bulletproof.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Ok, that's hy I asked. For my money the single wrap won't be all that sturdy, so what I do when trying to get wingbuds and a thorax from the same piece of material is to:

Shape the bud prior to tying in
    Trap the sheet flat on the shank with two wraps wingbuds at right length
    Fold forward facing end backwards over previous two wraps
    Trap with another two or three wraps
    Dub thorax in usual manner
    Pull forward over thoras and tie off

Works well and is absolutely bulletproof.
    Yeah, I hear you. Will see how it holds up. The method you describe is typically the same way I would do it. The problem comes in with using Medallion Sheeting for the wingcase. I dunno if you've ever seen this stuff, but it's pretty soft. I think it's actually designed as a wing material, but it looks nice as a wingcase. When I read the receipe for the pattern, I couldn't understand why he tied in the wingcase in this way, but when you try it yourself you see that its actually the only way you can do it without the wingcase totally bunching up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast