Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All tied up & no-where to go.......

Default All tied up & no-where to go.......

Tied up these fellows recently.......for the snoek/tail...kob whateva and in the hope that its almost summer again.... ......but i fear they will gather dust for the time being....as dewald says its trooty time.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Tied up these fellows recently.......for the snoek/tail...kob whateva and in the hope that its almost summer again.... ......but i fear they will gather dust for the time being....as dewald says its trooty time.....
    For some it is going to be a long Winter it seems! Tell you what, I'll relieve you of them for $10,000 000 Zim dollars, how's that for a bargain?

Nice selection Stephen, well done
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Been passing the time in the evenings......i think its time to open up the stil water boxes at do a refill....

To the guys out there that dont tie there own flies.Its a great hobby and as stated by many its even better when you catch on your own flies.....

Get out there and get a kit and start tying......they dont need to look pretty to catch fish......

Stephen Smith

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    as dewald says its trooty time.....
    did I say that!!! hahaha what I said in the same sms is that I want to see if they will eat a clouser or flashy profile as well

don't worry mate, the snoek season is still long and I'm sure we can organize another snoek hunt soon.

there is still the possiblity of gulley fish, blacktail ect, they don't bugger off and as we all know, a decent size kolstert will be fun on a 6wt. Atleast this comeing season you would have enough flies to cast at big fish, I have a funny feeling this comeing summer will be producing BIG fish, I for one will make it my mission to get a 10kg+ leerie in the surf or from a boat. Then next on the list is skipjack, cob and yellowtail.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Default snoek

Steven pray to the weather ***s

We got snoek and yellowtail at dassen this weekend (on raps and spoon)
    it was just a tad to windy and wavey to throw a fly

hopefully the flat windless and fogless day will arrive and not be a monday !!
    Then we can throw a fly

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Howzit, guys!

Nice selection, Steve! No fishing for me either at the mo, so I'm spending some good time behind the vice building my own little collection of hopefully deadly flies for next season. Or that winter leerie should I feel inclined to go look for one .
    Anyway, having used most of my synthetic stuff, and feeling quite inspired to tie some salty flies with natural materials, I got myself some cheap, webby chartreuse hackles, and commited my first semper. I used this recipe http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_...ob_semper.html, but I played around a little with the length of the hackles (I used 8 feathers) in the tail to build a nice profile. Now if I don't manage to blind them with its brightness, do you guys reckon this one could do the trick?
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

hulle gaan hom eet soos n mielie!!!

I would just add a dumbell eye(if you can find any) or a cone head, that would give a fantastic action to the feathers. Fisher gave me a good idea...marrabou charlies....
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hehe, cheers boet! Ya I left out the dumbell eyes on this one on purpose. I already have clousers for the jiggy action! I want to fish this one on an intermediate line and let the feathers do their own talking. I want it to hang seductively in place when I pause the retrieve, in stead of diving to the depths like a clouser would. That's why I stopped counting the palmered feathers when I reached mid-shank - it's tied THICK for maximum water pushing and neutral buoyancy. Hence the intermediate line to take it down - on a floater this thing will swim just below the surface. I even resisted the temptation of sticking on some normal stick on eyes. I just want to see what they think of the original pattern before doing the usual modifications, see?

It's funny you should mention marabou charlies - I've already tied up a few as part of my small collection of flies for the blacktail and such I want to target sometime before the winter ends! I also made a few with arctic fox fur (much like zonker but the hair is at least twice as long)- awesome action and a little more durable than marabou.. Can't wait to go try them all out!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

That will definately work.........i like the weight in front it gives it an awesome action.even if you dont let it sink to long and bring it thru sub surface it will still have a great action.

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    Steven pray to the weather ***s

We got snoek and yellowtail at dassen this weekend (on raps and spoon)
    it was just a tad to windy and wavey to throw a fly

hopefully the flat windless and fogless day will arrive and not be a monday !!
    Then we can throw a fly

/d
    As you can see.....ek is reg vir daai ding....

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast