Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you practise your casting ?

Mmm, I probably should practice to improve my cast as like you Shaun, the 17 years of fishing has caused some bad habits.

I usually only practice before doing a saltwater trip to try and strengthen the arm a bit (so I still can lift a cold frostie at the end of the day )
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    (so I still can lift a cold frostie at the end of the day )
    I have an instant cure-all for that.

CamelBak, filled with beer. Cast Cast Cast, chug chug, Cast Cast Cast, chug chug, Casht Casht Casht, chug chug, Casht .... heyyyyyyy thish cashting ish fun, fall down laughing, chug chug.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I used to cast in the street in front of my home using an old flyline as the SE and NW gave me the option of casting into the wind or with it. I used to get some prat making a brain dead remark but the best remark that I elicited was, " I see you are practicing for global warming". would swear the guy was a Fly fisher. I did realise that casting over water with obstacles all around very quickly brought you down from the dizzy heights of casting a full line and I just wish I could spend more time just getting my line wet in real fish holding water, with enough fishing time the casting will improve.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Either I am a masochist ( sp ) or a sadist. I normally practise my casting on the Vaal when I've decided enough is enough. I leave my control fly and SI on and then proceed to attempt to throw the whole line into the wind.
    After that has failed, I attempt to throw it with the wind. Once that has failed I then throw diagonally across the wind and wind my line evenly back onto the reel.
    Of course all this practise usually results in my SI floating downstream and windknots that would defy anyone to untangle.
    This gives me all the more reason to just cut the leader off and build a new one, the day before I am going out again. Which is normally within 7 days, hence my going through Maxima Ultagreen at an alarming rate
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I went fishing yesterday afternoon at a dam on the reserve.
    It was just a little fond farewell fishing trip with a couple of beers and a spliff or two... (Im moving to another reserve soon, got a new job)... anyways

In the priocess, I TOTALY discovered a new way to improve my casting accuracy... (My acuracy normaly sucks)...

I was fishing with a beer in the right pocket of my fly jacket, a Joint in my right hand and casting with my left hand... (Just lifting the line out the water and landing it back at the desired rise.... )
    After getting through with my splif and most of my black label.
    My acuracy was nearly spot on.... I was seriously flabbergasted...

It did wonders for my flyfishing skills....
    Driving home was another story though... (Fortunatley i was fishing at the reserve i work at... )
    "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions" John Ashley-Cooper

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~by Patrick F. McManus~

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

You probaly casted better, because you where a bit more relaxed.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

were you still relaxed from your "trip" when you revived this old thread too? nice tips though, thats how i catch so many fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post
    It was just a little fond farewell fishing trip with a couple of beers and a spliff or two... (Im moving to another reserve soon, got a new job)... anyways

In the priocess, I TOTALY discovered a new way to improve my casting accuracy... (My acuracy normaly sucks)...

I was fishing with a beer in the right pocket of my fly jacket, a Joint in my right hand and casting with my left hand... (Just lifting the line out the water and landing it back at the desired rise.... )

Driving home was another story though... (Fortunatley i was fishing at the reserve i work at... )
    Elize, I'm happy to know you are now discovering that flyfishing is a multi-task sport/recreation! As you intimate, driving is another task that is best left separate to the other experiences you undertook!

Let us know on the forum or via PM the new Reserve at which you'll be working/'experimenting'?

PS I was down at Boven earlier this week - river/dams a mess with all the rains/mud but I managed a couple of smallscales on our Badplaas local Seekooiespruit in very difficult conditions
    Last edited by chris williams; 13-02-10 at 05:00 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post

loved this!! A beer( cabbage of the best) joint ( dried cabbage from the Cape) and landing A RISE) Would this be your ''splif''
    Your accuracy was the desired rise, I would say!!w!ould impress any ffisher!!

Your ffishing is ''swelling'' in leaps and bounds. STUFF!! THE DRIVING HOME!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Ya well ill be moving to Nambiti private Game reserve. they have about 10 diff lodges...
    But ill be working at a 4 star lodge, on a big 5 reserve very excited...
    But ill be behaving in my new job.... No "Tree of knowlege" for me...
    Well at least not till i get through my probation ha ha ha...
    These guys are strickt... they even do police backround checks before they hire you...

The big bonus is its VERY close to home... 100km.
    Im just happy to be leaving Tala.... Im over this place....
    Time to move on...
    "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions" John Ashley-Cooper

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~by Patrick F. McManus~

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast