Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lady Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Ag jy praat k@k....genuine????????
    Grapie bra!!!

Nee wat, daai ding is 'n droom......gooi 'n lang lyn soon niks! Beste stok wat ek nog ooit in my hande vas gehou het. Weereens.......Dankie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Eish! I'm hiting some sindicate dam in Dullies as well.
    Let's see how it goes - might have to pull into the Poacher for the Rugby and a few thousand cold ones.

Grapie bra!!!

Nee wat, daai ding is 'n droom......gooi 'n lang lyn soon niks! Beste stok wat ek nog ooit in my hande vas gehou het. Weereens.......Dankie!!!
    Geez broer, wou net sê...wat MAAK jy met jou stokke???

Ja daai stok is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Let's see how it goes - might have to pull into the Poacher for the Rugby and a few thousand cold ones.
    CJ and Byron...remember those flies I used, you HAVE to take some..killer pattern!!!!

See this thread:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showp...8&postcount=12

Mike

CJ,

A further point about lady birds is that most of them taste terrible. The colour scheme on the wing case is a warning to birds and other predators not to eat them. I am not sure if they taste terrible to trout/yellows but if they do then the trout/yellows may avoid the colour scheme (if they had been exposed to them) if you were to tie the pattern upside down. Still worth experimenting with but at least you know a possible cause of refusals if you get them.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    CJ and Byron...remember those flies I used, you HAVE to take some..killer pattern!!!!

See this thread:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showp...8&postcount=12

Mike
    Will be tying some of those up this weekend... Got everything I need but I don't think the black head on yours was peacock hearl, it looked more like a synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    CJ,

A further point about lady birds is that most of them taste terrible. The colour scheme on the wing case is a warning to birds and other predators not to eat them. I am not sure if they taste terrible to trout/yellows but if they do then the trout/yellows may avoid the colour scheme (if they had been exposed to them) if you were to tie the pattern upside down. Still worth experimenting with but at least you know a possible cause of refusals if you get them.

Regards,
    Darryl
    I agree with Darryl, apparently most ladybirds taste foul (c'mon guys..) hence their colour. Anyway if you'd be wanting to imitate them most of the time you could get away with a Coch-y-Bondhu or black/peacock spider imitation dead-drifted which could also imitate a whole host of the other small exotic bstards that waste our water space..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    CJ,

Regards,
    Darryl
    Ja...I had some doubts about this pattern, but thought I'll give it a try. I'll change the colour scheme to black or brown?

Ja...I had some doubts about this pattern, but thought I'll give it a try. I'll change the colour scheme to black or brown?
    I would try it as is (maybe even try some hotspot colours like orange - also a warning colour in nature) - if yellows are anything like trout then they will take something into their mouths to taste it and then reject it - if they don't like it - all you have to do is set the hook I would be keen to see how the upside down beetle works - it's possibly a better position for the insect based on it centre of gravity but I am sucking my thumb rather hard on this one
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3