Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lady Bug

Default Lady Bug

Tried something last night. Size 16 Lady Bug.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by C J; 20-08-09 at 04:33 PM.

Looks very nice CJ ! Is the post cdc ?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Looks like CDC & a bit of Flashabou.

Nice fly.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Looks very nice CJ ! Is the post cdc ?
    Yip....one CDC puff. No flash. I wanted to spin a parachute, but I did'nt think one is needed. I did'nt want to over dress the fly.

Thanks CJ. I often laugh at the beetles I tie. In most cases all the fancy looking stuff is on the top of the fly where the fish can't see it - unless it's a sunken pattern. I suspect that the fishing are taking these flies based on the profile/silhouette. I have often wondered about tying the pattern upside down so that at least the fish get the benefit of our hard tying efforts
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

CJ - there were a stack of these and other terrestrials on the water this weekend when I was fishing, all very small and in a variety of colours.

My one observation was that the majority of them where on their backs with their little legs flailing in the wind.

very nicely tied that....lets hope she lands you a beauty...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

SmallMouth don't eat lady bugs ... they eat gay flies (all the puns intended)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Thanks CJ. I often laugh at the beetles I tie. In most cases all the fancy looking stuff is on the top of the fly where the fish can't see it - unless it's a sunken pattern. I suspect that the fishing are taking these flies based on the profile/silhouette. I have often wondered about tying the pattern upside down so that at least the fish get the benefit of our hard tying efforts
    That's an idea......I'm going to ty one "onderste-bo", so the wing cases point down to the fish.
    I dont know how often trout feeds on lady bugs, but yesterday I was tying a few beetles (black and brown) with parachute CDC posts when I decided to give the Lady a try. I will have to see if the fish will actually take this bug.

I gutted a trout on the weekend and found it had a beetle or two in it's gut. Smallish black and brown beetles. No lady bugs but there were scats of them around and in the water.

Also lots of yellow and orange beetles, i couldn't see any trout chowing them though. Also a couple of bees on the surface.

Beetles tied with a decent piece of foam and a bright post behind the head make great indicators for hanging other flies below.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast