Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: When does a fly become bait/lure?

Default When does a fly become bait/lure?

Is it ok to use for eg. a piece of Berkley softbait prawn on a hook to produce a fly that gives a better action/imitation, or is this frowned upon?

Don't know about that- there are plenty of feathers that have better action than rubber IMo.
    I know the guys on the vaal like to put a tiny bit of earthworm on their nymphs, just to help the yellows along you see... the copper ribbing does wonders in stopping the worm sliding off.
    Scythe showed me this trick...[stir,stir].

I know there was some huge debate on this a couple of years ago when those bottles with spray-on-cent first hit the market, I would have thought that the issue was sorted by now?

For me, personally, if it doesn't follow the tying paterns of old loosely, then it is bait.
    I have no issue if you put a piece of plastic on a hook, on any material for that matter, but if it was pre-molded to look like bait, then it is bait.

And if it is covered in anchovy oil ala Berkeley, then it isn't anymore fly than earthworm I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    Don't know about that- there are plenty of feathers that have better action than rubber IMo.
    I know the guys on the vaal like to put a tiny bit of earthworm on their nymphs, just to help the yellows along you see... the copper ribbing does wonders in stopping the worm sliding off.
    Scythe showed me this trick...[stir,stir].
    You are indeed stirring young man
    A word of advice from an ol' ballie, you can pull anyone's leg about anything under the sun, EXCEPT their ethical behaviour.
    I do not know if you have ever met Bertu,? I have had the honour of fishing with him, and can unequivocally say your last sentence is a blatant load of cr*p.
    Lastly instead of surmising and making broad, to me derogatory comments about Vaal fisherman, why don't you come up here and join OMR, Myself, Byron and Rory on a wee trip to the river over December with the flows around 80 cumecs.
    I actually know the exact waters and spot that we would take you to.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    You are indeed stirring young man
    A word of advice from an ol' ballie, you can pull anyone's leg about anything under the sun, EXCEPT their ethical behaviour.
    I do not know if you have ever met Bertu,? I have had the honour of fishing with him, and can unequivocally say your last sentence is a blatant load of cr*p.
    Lastly instead of surmising and making broad, to me derogatory comments about Vaal fisherman, why don't you come up here and join OMR, Myself, Byron and Rory on a wee trip to the river over December with the flows around 80 cumecs.
    I actually know the exact waters and spot that we would take you to.
    Now!now, Herman, dont get agro on the youngster, he's just chilling.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

ha ha, well he did rip me off about my hair on numerous occasions.
    Is Scythe's name Bertu?
    No, we haven't met and I haven't fished the vaal before...
    Scythe has given me a lot of advice on the old flyforum forum and from the amount of knowledge he has posted, especially about taking yellows on dry in winter, I take it he has got to be one of the best yellowfishermen around?

I know Scythe frowns upon such things as chumming etc. which is why I had to pull his leg!
    Scythe if you took offense, I apologise.
    Respect
    Carl

No problem with anyone chilling, youngster or not. Just be carefull who you decice to "name".
    My invitation to fish is actually genuine, there is no ways I would take a "virgin" out on the Vaal at 80 cubes.
    The art of the "drag free drift" as Jasper puts it is learned best from flows of 25, and then slowly working up to the magical 100

point taken WRT to ethical behaviour, thanks Herman.

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    ha ha, well he did rip me off about my hair on numerous occasions.
    , I take it he has got to be one of the best yellowfishermen around?

I know Scythe frowns upon such things as chumming etc. which is why I had to pull his leg!
    Scythe if you took offense, I apologise.
    Respect
    Carl
    Scythe is not on line, it was I who took offence. No harm done.
    My invitation still stands, anytime you are up this way give us a shout and OMR & I will take you to our stretch of heaven.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast