Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler rod advice

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hi Guys

I’m looking for a 4wt smuggler rod – something that has more than 5 sections. I want something light and extremely compact for travel purposes (i.e needs to fit in my hand luggage).

Anyone know of anyone who makes such rods at a reasonable price? I need it before September this year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Byron
    I have a 4/5wt Greys (made in Alnwick by the same crowd who make Hardy) 5 piece Smuggler that I am extremely happy with. It has a medium to fast action with the ability to effortlessly punch out a full line if needs be. I bought mine three years ago for R1965.00. They cant have gone up too much in the interim. I can really recommend these brilliant medium priced rods. They also come with unconditional lifetime original owner guarantees.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I have a 4/5wt Greys (made in Alnwick by the same crowd who make Hardy) 5 piece Smuggler that I am extremely happy with. It has a medium to fast action with the ability to effortlessly punch out a full line if needs be. I bought mine three years ago for R1965.00. They cant have gone up too much in the interim. I can really recommend these brilliant medium priced rods. They also come with unconditional lifetime original owner guarantees.
    Sounds good thanks chris - I'll check them out, might just buy it in the UK then if I choose the Greys.

I am sure you have looked but if not feast your eyes on this.

http://www.flyfishireland.net/
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sounds good thanks chris - I'll check them out, might just buy it in the UK then if I choose the Greys.
    I echo Chris on the Greys Smugglers, especially as you're going over there. The unconditional l'time g'tee is a bonus. I have fished with one of these, but not owned one, but they have all the requisite fittings etc at an affordable (or less unaffordable..) price. My old Redingtons 9' 4wt 4pc I won many years' back is still a great medium action rod with great 'feel' and has served me well over many years - it's also a great CZN rod for less strenuous close-range conditions/fish. I don't think that model (or me...!) is made any more. Hardy Smugglers are of course traditionally excellent, but so's their price, and if you've moving all over the place and packing/unpacking in unfamiliar places/waters/conditions, the chances of breaking a rod I reckon are greater so IMHO rather go for the Spar not the Woolies option!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Sorry I was inadvertantly mixing Smugglers with Redingtons threads!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Byron, I just got my Greys out and I see it is called the Greys Missionary. I am not sure if they come in different lengths and weights but for what it is worth, mine is a 5 piece 8'3 #4/5

Comes in a sturdy grey cloth covered tube with a lanyard for slinging over your shoulder. The rod itself is burgundy in colour. The eyes are excellent quality rounds and the reel seat is stainless steel capped rosewood or similar hardwood that has been nicely tooled to grip the reel seat. Handle is a half Wells. Come to think of it, it is actually a damn nice looking rod!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 10-06-08 at 08:45 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I am sure you have looked but if not feast your eyes on this.

http://www.flyfishireland.net/
    yeah thanks

*wipes drool off keyboard *

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Byron, I just got my Greys out and I see it is called the Greys Missionary. I am not sure if they come in different lengths and weights but for what it is worth, mine is a 5 piece 8'3 #4/5

Comes in a sturdy grey cloth covered tube with a lanyard for slinging over your shoulder. The rod itself is burgundy in colour. The eyes are excellent quality rounds and the reel seat is stainless steel capped rosewood or similar hardwood that has been nicely tooled to grip the reel seat. Handle is a half Wells. Come to think of it, it is actually a damn nice looking rod!
    Thanks Chris you just gave me a semi

No really it sounds sweet - I'll check them out next week when I get back from my trouting this WE. I know a dealer here with lots of Grey's in stock.

I have heard excellent things about the Cabela's Stowaway series of travel rods from some people who own them. They come in a 5 piece and a 7 piece series.

A couple of months ago I was talking to a very experienced fishermen who relieves at one of the better flyshops in Auckland, one that pushes Sage, Loop and the like. I asked his recommendation for a shortish #4 and he suggested Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece 7 1/2 ft, his favourite rod. Available for only US$ 95 from Cabela's online store. Although I think that Cabela's postage costs are very high.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks Kevin

Yeah if the postage is excessive then I may as well get one of our local imports which have great backup if anything goes wrong. For a cheap rod it makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast