Hook: Emerger 14-22
    Thread: Match body colour
    Tail: Soft hackle, partridge, mallard
    Body: Gosse biot
    Wing: CDC
    Thorax: Dry fly dubbing
    Legs: Partridge, mallard

Step 1.

Tie thread onto hook and take back to around hook bend.

Step 2.

Tie in your tail material.

Step 3.

Tie in a goose biot by the tip with the notch facing backwards. Take your thread forward.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Step 4.

Wind the biot forward around the hook and tie of.

Step 5.

Take two CDC feathers and align the tips. Place on top of the hook, stroke the feathers together towards the tip and tie of in the middle of the feather with a loose wrap or two. Use your left hand to carefully pull the feathers towards the hook bend until only the tips are beaneath the wraps. Tie of securely and trim the ends.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

Step 6.

Make a thin dubbing noodle on your thread and wind around hook for the thorax. Make sure you leave enouth room for the wing and the legs.

Step 7.

Tie in your leg material to the underside of the fly.

Step8.

Pull the CDC feathers over the thorax and use your nail to sligly push the feathers backwards to spread them out and tie off.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Step 9. Trim the excess and whip finish.

Amazingly it floats

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Nice pattern Morne, well done ! See how visible it is when you fish it otherwise add a bit more CDC and make the loop slightly larger.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Nice pattern morne!!!

I personally don't think a convential throat/legs are neccesary in an emerger pattern. To me its an unnecessary step in the tying process.You could dub the thorax with cdc instead, too. This would make the pattern nice & buggy.

Oh, i'm sure de-barbed hooks would please the guys on the site too
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Nice work there Morne! Are those hooks blue ? What hooks are they ?

Thanks guys. Shaun they are Grip 14731 Emerger and Caddis Pupa hooks, and no they are not blue
    Last edited by Morne; 16-06-08 at 05:44 PM.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Nice pattern morne!!!

I personally don't think a convential throat/legs are neccesary in an emerger pattern. To me its an unnecessary step in the tying process.You could dub the thorax with cdc instead, too. This would make the pattern nice & buggy.

Oh, i'm sure de-barbed hooks would please the guys on the site too
    ...or just tease out the dubbing a bit to give a buggy/leggy look.

Nice one Morne!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Nice pattern Morne, well done ! See how visible it is when you fish it otherwise add a bit more CDC and make the loop slightly larger.
    Nice pattern Morne, consentrate on your segmentation, being 6-8 equal segments. PERFECT.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast