Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NZ Vacation

Default rods for NZ

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks will bring a 5 wt also. Will forward you the rough itinerary soon for comments and or further advice. Already battling to get a place booked for the Coromandel over festive season but my brother is working on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks will bring a 5 wt also. Will forward you the rough itinerary soon for comments and or further advice. Already battling to get a place booked for the Coromandel over festive season but my brother is working on that one.
    hi jono
    i have three 5/6wt rods, you are more than welcome to borrow one. i see you are in parrow. if anything happens to the rod it's no big deal...i was given it.
    if you interested, pm me
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    Was thinking of the following rod choices to bring as they will fit in my suitcase.
    Stealth Extreme 3wt 7', Stealth Bomber 12wt 9' for sea(i suppose the 9wt would be better) and to double as spinning rod will bring a extra spinning reel, TFO CRTI 7wt 9' for lake and larger rivers.

Do also have 4/5wt and 9wt but 2 piece so won't fit in luggage.

Do you think this will cover me for most instances?

Cannot believe that its only 3,5 months till Vacation!!!!!! But still need to plan itinerary and book ferries.

Cheers, Jono
    Leave the #3 at home, Every thing you can do with a #3 you can do with a #5, but not vice versa. Plus you might not use it once on the whole trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Rols,
    Thanks will get in touch.

Hi Korrie,
    Thanks for the advice will leave the 3 wt less to drag along.

Cheers

sent you a pm
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Default report back

Well after a hurried 6 weeks in New Zealand the vacation already is as vague as a fart in a hurricane.

I ended up with 23 kgs of fly fishing tackle taken over with me as luggage.

The bait salt water fishing was unbelievable caught many species but have to admit defeat when it comes to fly fishing for browns.

It's ..xxx.. frustrating when you watch your fly tickle the fishes lips. It follows takes a sniff and turns around again only to inhale and consume anything coming down the river. After many hours and plenty flies later learned that the hair and copper is the preferred fly.

Got some free info from a guide who advised on rod weight, fly types etc but spent far too many hours catching nothing. Turns out that the 5wt I was using was far to light for the trout in the river. From above they look quiet thin but from the side you realize that it's a fair size fish. Would probably have been easier to dive in and impale the school with the rod tip.

I had read that browns are smart but never realized how smart. What made it worse was I fished near guys around me catching 50-60 cm browns and although it's awesome to see them jump and fight I really would like to have caught one.

Will get some practice in before returning. At least I have reason to return one day soon to hammer a few on the fly.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Hey Jono, thanks for the report back.

Sorry to hear those browns were too clever for you. A good presentation with no drag is usually enough - exact pattern is not critical. H&C and pheasant tail for nymphs, and roughy for dry would work in most situations.

Next time give me a call and I'll find some silly NI rainbows for you.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Hi Kevin.
    Did not have time to meet with you. We just ran out of time.

I will possibly be over late May for business. I would like to add a few days to fish will contact you nearer the time.

We are also thinking of coming over at the end of the year again for vacation but will spend our time on NI mostly. Will let you know once I have booked the tickets or confirmed the trip.

I need to return and catch a good number of fish this time however I will prepare and plan better.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3