Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NZ Vacation

Thumbs up NZ Vacation

Hi, I'm new to fly fishing. Going on vacation to NZ over Dec/Jan. Booked a camper for a self drive vacation.

Any advice for a complete novice? Will have access to boats while in Auckland so advice on saltwater and fresh water places to fish, flies etc would help.

Also has customs an issue with flies; heard they're strict and would not like to have a issue before the holiday begins?

Will be visiting North and South Islands and don't have much time over there so would like to make it count by pre-planning the trip.

Thanks, Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hi, I'm new to fly fishing. Going on vacation to NZ over Dec/Jan. Booked a camper for a self drive vacation.

Any advice for a complete novice? Will have access to boats while in Auckland so advice on saltwater and fresh water places to fish, flies etc would help.

Also has customs an issue with flies; heard they're strict and would not like to have a issue before the holiday begins?

Will be visiting North and South Islands and don't have much time over there so would like to make it count by pre-planning the trip.

Thanks, Jono
    HI Jono

I know that N.Z. customs are very strict regarding what comes into the country. Cant see them allowing flies through. Best would be from Kevin Elliot or guys who fished there in competitions.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Jono,

Some million dollar questions there. Regarding flies, yes you can bring them, but I suggest that you declare them on arrival. Fly tying materials such as feathers and furs are a no-no, but once they are tied into flies they are OK. Make sure your boots are clean unless you want them taken away and washed for you.

I can't help you much with the saltwater fishing. But there is some very good fishing around Auckland. Garth Plank and Mike Harrison, both members of this forum, fish around Auckland and may be able to help you.

NZ can be a tough place for a novice trout fisher. I suggest that you focus on a few areas/rivers and don't spread yourself too thin. A few days spent learning a river will be far more productive than those same days on different rivers. Is this primarily a fishing holiday or will you have family in tow? How long in each island? Lake or river fishing? I can put together a rough intinerary if you have some guidelines.

Regarding flies, keep it simple:

Nymphs:
    Hare & Copper sizes 12 & 14, tungsten beads.
    Pheasant tail nymphs, sizes 14 & 16, no bead.
    Olive caddis, size 10 & 12

Dries
    Royal Wulff #12
    Adams #14 & #16
    Clarks cicada #8
    Green beetle #14

Do you tie your own flies? If not I suggest that you rather purchase flies when you arrive, quality is good and flies are tied for local conditions.

Happy to help with any other questions.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Hi Kevin,
    My wife and son will be with me, I hope to get her interested in fly fishing while we see NZ; my son will only be 13 months old in Dec.

I don't tie flies yet so will probably purchase some there but will also bring my small collection.

I have not worked out a itinerary yet but only have 33 days to see north and South islands and get some fishing done. The vacation is not only fishing based as I would also like to see NZ and get an idea of the lifestyle.

I don't know how much time to allow for the North and South Islands and have been advised to book a ferry trip by September, apparently it gets quiet busy during Dec/Jan????

Would like to try some lake, river and sea fishing while there.

Any advice would help?

Cheers, Jono

Hi Jono

I am in Auckland and fish rivers, rocks and from my boat. When you have more detail give me a shout.

Mike Harrison

Hi Mike,
    Thanks will advise once I have more details.

Cheers, Jono

You must have a very tolerant wife Jono. Is she gonna sit in a motel room with your 13 months old while you go fishing? Maybe she can give mine some pointers in tolerance? I assume you will be able to get out for the odd day's fishing then, but not for day's on end?

I think you may need either a day with a guide or with a local. I'll happily take you out for a day on a North Island river if it fits in with my schedule. This will show you the techniques needed to catch NZ fish. Otherwise NZ can be very frustrating for novices.

Sounds like you have rellies in Auckland? If so I suggest 14 days SI, the rest NI.

Rotorua is a good spot for lake fishing, with plenty for the family to do too. Also have a look at Tauranga, not so much trout fishing, but a great beachy spot in summer. You should be able to get some fishing done in Taupo, site fishing for smelting fish in the lake, and the Tongariro at Turangi has easily accessible fishing with good accommodation right on the banks. If you have money for a guide, I can recommend some good ones at Taupo to take you backcountry.

In the south I would recommend Murchison (south of Nelson) as an excellent base for some superb river fishing. Marlborough for the best sauvignon blanc in the world. Christchurch is not the most exciting place, but worth a look. Then head to Queenstown lake district, tourism central and some decent fishing nearby. Again, let me know about guides, can recommend an excellent one in Q'town. Southland has little in the way of tourism attractions, but very good trout fishing in easily accessible rivers, and some of the friendliest locals you could imagine.

A very brief rundown, when you have a better idea of your movements I'll happily provide more details.

Cheers
    Kevin

PS. Good tip on the ferries, worth booking early to get favourable rates.
    Last edited by KevinE; 22-06-08 at 11:10 PM.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Hi Kevin,
    I have yet to find a tolerant woman. Mine is by no means but will be with me all the time on our vacation as we are traveling by Camper.I will not fish every day but hope to get a fair amount in while over there.

I have hired a 4 berth Koru I figured that this would be the best way to see NZ without having to rush from place to place. If I feel like spending a extra day at a place that we like we can.

Yes I have rellies in Auckland and some friends from SA but they have only been there for less than 3 years and have not had much chance to travel beyong the North Island, they do not fly fish.

I also have a friend who lives in Masterton so will visit there also.

Would like to take you up on the offer and go out for a day on a river. Send me you contact number so we can get in touch when I'm there. I will only get a mobile number when I get there so cannot give you a number until then.

I have a meeting next week with a Kiwi who now lives in SA to get some more tips on an itinerary. Once I have finalized I will book the ferry trip as I have been advised about booking early.

I appreciate you help and advice.

Regards,
    Jono

A suggestion I can make, seeing that you are new to fly fishing.
    Some of the NZ rivers are very big and room for back cast is not always available, a small spinning rod could come in handy in some of the rivers when they are flowing big and fast. You might not have all the lines required etc.
    It is also easy when the going is good to give the spinning rod to the wife and get her into a fish or two. She might be more tolerant once she has caught a fish or two.

A word of advice, if you decide to take a fish for the pot, not to kill it in front of her, I know of an instance or two, where the other half have stopped fishing when they saw the fish being killed.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Interesting to hear that they allow spinning in the rivers...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast