Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NZ Vacation

all the rivers I visited, they allowed all types of fishing. not all types of fishing being equally succesfull.
    Sometimes with the howling winds, casting is almost impossible. A little spinning rod will save the day and do the trick.
    Worth to look at.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Thru all the pages all I could find was "that a variety of fishing methods are allowed, and that you must check what the local rules and regulations are"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Default Spinning rod

thanks Korrie will take a spinning rod also.

Good call on the spinning rod Korrie. Can be effective prior to Christmas when the water is high. But Jono, please replace treble hooks with singles if the spinners come with singles. Trebles means you have little chance of releasing any fish you don't want. And singles hold better in my view. A few small toby spinners in various colours should be all you need. Also effective is fishing a woolly bugger behind a swivel and ball sinker.

Just to clarify, most rivers allow spinning and flyfishing, but not many allow bait fishing for trout.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Yep, Kevin, most spinners have 'split rings' connecting the spinner with the hook so it's pretty simple to substitute the customary treble hook with a single if you're going to use spinning rig.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Default Rods for NZ

Hi Kevin,
    Was thinking of the following rod choices to bring as they will fit in my suitcase.
    Stealth Extreme 3wt 7', Stealth Bomber 12wt 9' for sea(i suppose the 9wt would be better) and to double as spinning rod will bring a extra spinning reel, TFO CRTI 7wt 9' for lake and larger rivers.

Do also have 4/5wt and 9wt but 2 piece so won't fit in luggage.

Do you think this will cover me for most instances?

Cannot believe that its only 3,5 months till Vacation!!!!!! But still need to plan itinerary and book ferries.

Cheers, Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    Was thinking of the following rod choices to bring as they will fit in my suitcase.
    Stealth Extreme 3wt 7', Stealth Bomber 12wt 9' for sea(i suppose the 9wt would be better) and to double as spinning rod will bring a extra spinning reel, TFO CRTI 7wt 9' for lake and larger rivers.

Do also have 4/5wt and 9wt but 2 piece so won't fit in luggage.

Do you think this will cover me for most instances?

Cannot believe that its only 3,5 months till Vacation!!!!!! But still need to plan itinerary and book ferries.

Cheers, Jono
    you better stop thinking about work and book those ferries and accommodation Jono....next thing you have rods and no place to go....my point is, time flies big time.....i was s'posed to start my diet in January.....besides other things. and here i am.....still short bald and fat
    stop pencilling it in your diary, USE INK good luck but move...
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hi Jono,

I would strongly recommend that you buy, borrow or steal a 5 or 6 wt rod, 8 1/2 to 9ft. This will be the bread and butter rod for most of your trout fishing in NZ. Your 7ft 3wt will be OK on some of the smaller streams, but won't cut the mustard on most waters. And the 7wt, while ideal for the bigger rivers, is probably a tad heavy for most streams, although you could possibly get away with it.

Since you have the 7wt I'd suggest you get hold of a 5wt rod. It doesn't have to be very fancy, most of your casts will be in the 20 to 50ft range. medium fast to fast action would be my suggestion to cope with the wind.

Book those ferries soon mate, otherwise you may be paying a bit more than you hoped. Give me a holler if you need any more help with the itinerary.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Default booking

Hi Rols,
    Point taken about worrying about the business but without it there would be no holiday. Fortunately the accommodation is sorted and paid - using a camper. It's just the ferry and where we go still to sort out.

Time is flying though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast