Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: Idas Valley dams - Helshoogte

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default Idas Valley dams - Helshoogte

    I am not sure how many of you are aware of it, but nestled at the foot of the Helshoogte Pass in Stellenbosch are two fantastic dams that were once home to big trout! With rising fuel costs, these dams are ideally situated for the vast majority of Cape Flyfishermen, yet they remain overlooked! I cannot understand it. These are municipal dams, which means that they are public property. Permission was once given to a private concern to run a fishery and it took off very well indeed but folded just over a year later. Crime from a neighbouring township was cited as the reason. Now, given how valuable and scarce suitable waters for trout are, should the CPS not be having a closer look at these dams? I mean, they are magnificent dams and lets face it, everything comes at a price these days! If it means having to throw money at it for 24 hours surveillance, is that such a bad thing? I think it is a small price to pay to have management control over such a magnificant resource.

    Your thoughts please?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 17-06-08 at 08:14 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    hi chris
    yes fished them before and no problem with access. recent trips have found the gate manned and no entry as they are planning a development....this was from the guard. you can bribe him with some money and he'll let you in but if the knobs arrive he will deny it. sad sad way they are stuffing it up.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hi chris
    yes fished them before and no problem with access. recent trips have found the gate manned and no entry as they are planning a development....this was from the guard. you can bribe him with some money and he'll let you in but if the knobs arrive he will deny it. sad sad way they are stuffing it up.
    Well, maybe a developement could solve the security problem but I would still like to see the CPS getting management control over the fishing, before some rich tycoon makes a move on the waters and starts another private trout fishing estate....on our public waters!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  4. #4

    Default

    I have fished both these dams, last year and we caught some monster blue gill. There is big bass in as well. The local comunity have caught all the trout from what I have heared. If they restock these dams I will fish them for sure and I am sure that the guys will not mind paying as long as they and their cars are safe. The locals normaly went in there to party and braai and mess the place up. That old helshoogte road is littered with glass and plastic. As rols say, R20 or a bottle of mooi meisie wyn can get you in, but stil what is your excuse gonna be when the boere arrive?
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I am not sure how many of you are aware of it, but nestled at the foot of the Helshoogte Pass in Stellenbosch are two fantastic dams that were once home to big trout! With rising fuel coats, these dams are ideally situated for the vast majority of Cape Flyfishermen, yet they remain overlooked! I cannot understand it. These are municipal dams, which means that they are public property. Permission was once given to a private concern to run a fishery and it took off very well indeed but folded just over a year later. Crime from a neighbouring township was cited as the reason. Now, given how valuable and scarce suitable waters for trout are, should the CPS not be having a closer look at these dams? I mean, they are magnificent dams and lets face it, everything comes at a price these days! If it means having to throw money at it for 24 hours surveillance, is that such a bad thing? I think it is a small price to pay to have management control over such a magnificant resource.

    Your thoughts please?
    Hi Chris, if what Roland says is correct and they are going to develope the site it sounds like the writing was on the wall a while back.........To take your question at a slightly different angle, as you know i live in Durbanville, i often travel the back road to stellenbosch and pass lots of farms with lots of dams
    i have often wondered on many occasions why these dams have never been turned into commercial ventures???
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hi chris
    no entry as they are planning a development.... sad sad way they are stuffing it up.
    That word is starting to sicken me. We have "lost" one, day venue on the Vaal so far with another 2 in the "signing" stage.
    No wonder I launch at a "public" venue then either row up, or drift down and "poach". As long as I'm in the boat and don't have my feet on the substrata there is sweet **** all that the developers can do about it.
    Talk about screwing up nature for bucks.
    Just where do they intend the sewage from 30 - 40 "flats/hotel rooms" to go???? Septic Tanks ???? And the inevitable French Drain overflow??, straight into the river via the fisures prevelent in the rock formations in that area.
    EIA's what's that ???? Kortbroeks lakkies have an upturned palm and a downturned eye.

    It's bloody disgusting.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    That word is starting to sicken me. We have "lost" one, day venue on the Vaal so far with another 2 in the "signing" stage.
    No wonder I launch at a "public" venue then either row up, or drift down and "poach". As long as I'm in the boat and don't have my feet on the substrata there is sweet **** all that the developers can do about it.
    Talk about screwing up nature for bucks.
    Just where do they intend the sewage from 30 - 40 "flats/hotel rooms" to go???? Septic Tanks ???? And the inevitable French Drain overflow??, straight into the river via the fisures prevelent in the rock formations in that area.
    EIA's what's that ???? Kortbroeks lakkies have an upturned palm and a downturned eye.



    It's bloody disgusting.

    Do not want to go off the topic but did you catch the thread about the cape streams development,they are building 24 units on hotel beat and smaalblaar 5,you better get here quick Herman you might not ever get to fish this particulaer cape stream.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

  8. Default

    Chris

    I've fished the venue in the past. The dams are nice.

    But the crime is a huge problem. Surveillance is too expensive and the skollies will find a way around it..... I'd be very nervous to go there and leave a car unattended.

    My 2c
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,953

    Default

    ...just like the Dullstroom dams that are now totally understocked as all the day ticket money when straight into the wrong pockets and not into a stocking program. Well at least that was the situation a couple months ago - the dams hadn't been stocked for nearly a year, but they we happily selling permits to fisherman who didn't know better.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Chris, if what Roland says is correct and they are going to develope the site it sounds like the writing was on the wall a while back.........To take your question at a slightly different angle, as you know i live in Durbanville, i often travel the back road to stellenbosch and pass lots of farms with lots of dams
    i have often wondered on many occasions why these dams have never been turned into commercial ventures???
    Most of those Durbanville surrounding dams are a bit out of the trout belt Nic. They all get too warm in summer and excessive weed growth is always a problem. They are more suited to bass. Idas Valley on the other hand is perfect trout water by virtue of the slightly higher topography and also the depth of the dams. Maybe now is the time to come up with a serious proposal. A well managed trout facility can only add value to any developements within the area....it can easily be turned into a win win situation.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •