Hi guys,ive just posted a reply under "western cape in march",where ive made reference to botriver lagoon.I fished there about a month ago and my cousin has been fishing it without much success either.

My question is what affect that closed river mouth has had on that lagoon.I beleive the Nature conservation/sea fisheries(or whoever) want the mouth to open naturally.I think because this hasnt been done,the salinity(spelling???)has dropped and the place is just looking siff.There is a smell around aswell.

Obviously there are other factors affecting the lagoon,such as the nets that were put across the channels etc etc.But if i look back at the fish my old man caught there in years gone by,it was truely a great lagoon.

On a lesser extent one can also look at kleinmond lagoon.Same thing happening there.We cant compare the two fishing wise,i know.But the mouth closes and the water gets stagnant.The sea weed rots and the place also just looks awefull.I think that the town gets busy with alot of tourists from up country and they come down to the coast to be at the sea.Alot of them swim in that lagoon and i dont think that will be happening if the mouth is still closed.

What do the rest of you think?