Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fishery/Hatchery in PE area.

Question Fishery/Hatchery in PE area.

Howzit

I'm looking at now finally looking into operating a trout fishery and hatchery in the PE area. The bug bit while we where in the UK, and since then I've wanted to own a fishery.

My most obvious questions are:
    • How many people eat trout in SA? I've not seen it available anywhere
    • How much do you pay /kg?
    • How do fisheries get over the warmer climate?

There will be more.
    Cheers

Howzit,

Trout is on almost every single menu in and around Dullstroom Restaurants.The place for the larnies come weekends.

My 300g

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 23-06-08 at 09:54 PM.

That is where you'd expect to see them on the menu, and the fat cats ordering them. I wanna know if the man in the street, without a 4 weight, eats trout.

Half of the fishery setup will be supplying fish, if there's a market, to supermarkets etc. Have to earn a living somehow, day ticket fees won't cover my ever enlarging mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
    Howzit

I'm looking at now finally looking into operating a trout fishery and hatchery in the PE area. The bug bit while we where in the UK, and since then I've wanted to own a fishery.

My most obvious questions are:
    • How many people eat trout in SA? I've not seen it available anywhere
    • How much do you pay /kg?
    • How do fisheries get over the warmer climate?

There will be more.
    Cheers
    What experience did you get in the U.K.? Fish farming I'd say is not something you can run on trial and error. Breeding or fishery licences will also be a bugger to get, thats after you find a suitable place. A overall costly venture. Be carefull!!!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Pete, as an ex-PE man myself I'd have to say that you may struggle to find a suitable venue around PE for a commercial trout hatchery. The main problem is that you need access to a reliable supply of clean, cold water. I seem to recall a semi-commercial hatchery heading out Lady's Slipper way, have no details though. High acidity is also a problem in many of the area's streams.

But good luck man, head for the hills and see what you can find.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

speak to Martin Davies .. Rhodes Uni Dept Icthiology.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Just out of interest,under the alien species act are the goverment allowing any new ventures that involve these species?????
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I hear you Poppernel and Kevin.
    Cold fresh water will be a problem and it's just hit home how important it is. I've realised I'd have to "head for the hills" to run it properly, but how does that deter my patrons?

I've been to the dept, and all I have to prove to them is that the stock will not escape into the river system.

Are there any fishery owners here and how are they finding things?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
    I hear you Poppernel and Kevin.
    Cold fresh water will be a problem and it's just hit home how important it is. I've realised I'd have to "head for the hills" to run it properly, but how does that deter my patrons?

I've been to the dept, and all I have to prove to them is that the stock will not escape into the river system.

Are there any fishery owners here and how are they finding things?

Thanks again.
    Ryan Weaver on the forum runs Jonkershoek here in the cape you can contac him through the forum or theres Phillip Meyer (fish on the forum)he runs Eikendal
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

You can buy trout in any just about every pick 'n pay in Gauteng, Woolworths definitely stocks it as do most decent fish mongers and supermarkets.

Prices range from about R50 upwards depending on whether you want it smoked, filleted, de-boned or whole. Go look in the fish section of your local p n p you'll be surprised.

Obviously when you are in a trout area like the Quad in Mpumalanga you can buy it everywhere, even the garage shops sell trout pies.

You also don't have to hit the larny eateries to find it on a menu.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast