Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Out of the box thinking

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Compared to the bunch of worms and the dragon one, this to me is tied sparser and looks more imitative. I like that. Too many of us fly-tyers overdress our flies and make them to bulky.
    The reason for the "bulk" is that these flies are dressed to catch Carp in murky water. The fish don't seem to mind.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    The reason for the "bulk" is that these flies are dressed to catch Carp in murky water. The fish don't seem to mind.
    Then thats good enough.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I used to use a earthworm pattern for bass,a basic tandem setup.You take two heavyduty shortshanked hooks #10 and 12.Using a nail-knot(4-6 turns) attach 20lbs backing just before the bend of the front hook,then tie the eccess backing onto the hook shank with tying thread to the eye of the hook.Secure the backing on the hook-shank with glue or epoxy(I used super glue).Then take a piece of gold-brown or brown speckled chinelle and secure chinnelle behind the nail knot(leave about 6-10 turns of tying thread space to attach the detatchable piece of chinnelle,this will be explained later),then wind the chinelle forward to the eye of the hook and tie off.
    Using a brown permanent-marker,colour in the remainding length of backing,allow to dry.
    Again using a nail knot,attach the backing to the rear hook,once you've decided on the desired length(I made mine between 5-7cm long).Allowance must be made for a small gap between the eye of the hook and the nail knot(ie. the nail knot must not tied against the eye of the hook) to secure the detatchable chinelle.Tie eccess backing onto the hookshank towards the bend of the hook,secure backing on hookshank with glue or epoxy.Attach speckled-chinelle to the hook,wind chinelle forward to the front end of the knailknot and tie off.
    Take a piece of speckled-chinelle and tie in at the back end(behind the nail knot) of the front hook.Then attach the chinelle to the front of the rear hook (the gap between the nail knot and the eye of the hook),try and get the tension between chinelle and backing as even as possible.Tie the chinelle to the backing between the hooks with 6/0 tying thread at random points using over and under knots.Wish I could do a SBS,but I'm working at Festival until 5 July

Quote Originally Posted by Halfstone View Post
    I used to use a earthworm pattern for bass,a basic tandem setup.You take two heavyduty shortshanked hooks #10 and 12.Using a nail-knot(4-6 turns) attach 20lbs backing just before the bend of the front hook,then tie the eccess backing onto the hook shank with tying thread to the eye of the hook.Secure the backing on the hook-shank with glue or epoxy(I used super glue).Then take a piece of gold-brown or brown speckled chinelle and secure chinnelle behind the nail knot(leave about 6-10 turns of tying thread space to attach the detatchable piece of chinnelle,this will be explained later),then wind the chinelle forward to the eye of the hook and tie off.
    Using a brown permanent-marker,colour in the remainding length of backing,allow to dry.
    Again using a nail knot,attach the backing to the rear hook,once you've decided on the desired length(I made mine between 5-7cm long).Allowance must be made for a small gap between the eye of the hook and the nail knot(ie. the nail knot must not tied against the eye of the hook) to secure the detatchable chinelle.Tie eccess backing onto the hookshank towards the bend of the hook,secure backing on hookshank with glue or epoxy.Attach speckled-chinelle to the hook,wind chinelle forward to the front end of the knailknot and tie off.
    Take a piece of speckled-chinelle and tie in at the back end(behind the nail knot) of the front hook.Then attach the chinelle to the front of the rear hook (the gap between the nail knot and the eye of the hook),try and get the tension between chinelle and backing as even as possible.Tie the chinelle to the backing between the hooks with 6/0 tying thread at random points using over and under knots.Wish I could do a SBS,but I'm working at Festival until 5 July
    Sounds good, although a bit complicated for me to visualize at this time of the morning. Can you post a photo please? Thanks boet!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

From the JVice website

There is a step-by-step

http://www.jvice.com/Fly's/PreviousFly's/Marine%20Bloodworm/MarineBloodworm.htm

here is something I found. What do you think?

Chris have you tried your squigly worm yet?

PS guys this is something we can work to...
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

This is a great little movie to see how midges behave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQEPZqNZU8
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6