Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inhaca shore fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    Hey Christo
    I dont know the island. But when I started fishing Inhaca 10 years ago I didnt know it either. You will just have to explore. Always a good idea to try do a full recce of the island on the first day. Obviously looking for reef and drop offs. thats where the fish will be so target those areas.
    Have a floating line and a quick sinking line (Di7) and that will suffice. Its always fun exploring and learning the lay of the land yourself.
    Other then that I can offer you much help Im afraid.
    Good luck and tight lines
    Mark
    Hi Mark!

I havn't been at Inhaca in a few years... have u been there recently and hows the fishing there now??

Thanks

Default Inhaca

Hey Q
    I have a group of friends who goes probably every six months. I was last there december a year and a half ago.
    After returning from Bilene 2 days ago i have to say Inhaca is AMAZING. But I have not been further north.
    Inhaca has always been pretty good to me. When we go we always have guys who spear and deep sea. We have had some huge catches from dorado, tuna, couta, kingfish etc. You have to know the spots or have a GPS or use a local sckipper, they can put you over the reef, just as well as a GPS.
    Um, what else, obviously best times of the year are the warmer months, thats with out a doubt regardless of what people say.....
    Let me know what else you need
    Ta
    <M>

Mark, where's the report about Bilene?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    Hey Q
    I have a group of friends who goes probably every six months. I was last there december a year and a half ago.
    After returning from Bilene 2 days ago i have to say Inhaca is AMAZING. But I have not been further north.
    Inhaca has always been pretty good to me. When we go we always have guys who spear and deep sea. We have had some huge catches from dorado, tuna, couta, kingfish etc. You have to know the spots or have a GPS or use a local sckipper, they can put you over the reef, just as well as a GPS.
    Um, what else, obviously best times of the year are the warmer months, thats with out a doubt regardless of what people say.....
    Let me know what else you need
    Ta
    <M>
    Thanks mark for all the info!

Like I've said, I was at Inhaca a long time ago and it was just a short trip... Would def like to go back again in the near future... The highest I've been up in Moz is Pomene Lodge and the fishing there was pretty good, but for a flyfishers prespective, its pretty limited except the estury and at the mouth...

On conventional tackle we caught African pompano up to 17kg's on sealice for bait in the winter months and hooked a couple of small kingies on plugs in the surf! (All on the otherside of the burned down hotel along the reefs)

We mostly fish the north coast nowadays around Rocktail bay and Mabibi... the fishing there is exceptional at times and had lots of fun on the flyrod with big schools of wolfhearring and needlescale queenfish over the long weekend in May...

Heading down to Mabibi in December and will hopefully get hooked up with some decent size Kingies!!!

Default Bilene

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    Mark, where's the report about Bilene?
    Hi Garage
    bilene, hmm what can I say > ***. But they may well be due to the fact that we couldnt get out to sea, however from the shore we had very little luck. Bearing in mind I have a Masters degree in Marine Biology I believe I am a little more insiteful than most in terms of observing the marine biodiversity and state of the fishieries. Firstly the lagoon stops you from getting to the sea apart from the very shallow channel that has to be very carefully navigated. The actual lagoon is polluted and HEAVILY over fished by local. Mesh size on the nets which was tiny means they catch all fish from the juveniles all the way to the broodstock fish. In essence not good at all.
    I got dropped off at the mouth a few times and did the 2 hour hike back after fishing. I got a couple of greenspot and bluefin kingies not big at all. A garfish and a wolf herring (nasty critter).
    My diving mates have had huges success there so maybe you need to get out to sea. The locals said fishing has not been good mainly due to the time of the year. And as we all know fishing is like a woman, very fickle!!! So it may have just been a bad 10days.
    And thats all I have to say about that.
    hope it helps
    Ta
    M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2