Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flashy Profile SBS

Default Flashy Profile SBS

Hi there

I started a tread about a month or so ago about these versatile flies. I think that all has been discussed in that tread about effectiveness aswell as differnt tying methods. In the meantime have I been playing around with this patern and applied all the info to my tying. This is what I have come up with. Thanks to Paul Weinghartz for sharing his sucsesfull flies with me. I have yet to catch a fish on them, and my target fish for the comeing season is a 10kg+ leervis in the surf.

These flies are light and do not hold water, thus making them very easy to cast all day on a heavy rod.

Recipe:

Hook: Owner 5/0 Circle
    Tread: Spooktread
    Wing: SF blend
    Flash: Christmas Tinsel
    Eyes: Stick on 8mm
    epoxy head.
    Gills: Kinky fibre

These flies can be tied in any colour you like, here I have used White, Natural, Yellow and Chartreuse SF blend.

Step one:

Start with your tread close to the hook bend.

Step two:

Add the SF blend on top and fold it back under the hook.

Repeat this step until you have nice and thick body buildt uo. Make sure you fold it back under neath all the time.

Step tree:

Add flash as desired. Here I have used Christmas tinsel that you can buy in bulk for cheap and you dont have to be shy with the flash, after all its called a flashy profile.
    Last edited by deewy; 29-04-09 at 09:20 PM.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Step Four:

Build up your body in exactly the same way as you have done with the rest of the fly. This will give you a thick and bushy fly, looking more like a BLOB hehehe just had to do that. Here I have used Yellow and Chartreuse SF blend

Step Five:

Trim your fly. This will make it look like a baitfish and not a BLOB. Use sharp scissors as the SF blend is not easy to cut with a blunt scissor. Once you are satisfied that your baitfish profile will match the hatch you are ready for the next step. Also remember not to leave it to bushy as this will cause the fly to keep more water and make it heavy to cast.

Step Six:

Add a layer off epoxy to the head, but make sure that you only cover the top half of the head, this will leave the entire hook gape open. Work it into the fibres and make sure that it gives the fly a flat look from the front.

Step Seven:

Wait till the epoxy is almost dry. Add the stick on eyes as they will stick better to tha tacky epoxy. Wait for the epoxy to dry and recoat over the eyes to make them sit forever and a day. You need to ensure that the epoxy do not make tears so rotating it will help with this.

Step Eight:

Wet your fly to look at the final profile. Now you can decide if you are happy and if you need to trim more.

More finished flies

Last edited by deewy; 29-04-09 at 09:24 PM.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

As I have said, I have yet to fish these flies but I am very confident in them, if a GT will eat them then why wouldnt a Garrick eat them.

I am open for any Crit again so I am waiting for the coments.

Just shows you what you can get up to when you are bored on a friday night
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Eish, very lekker Deewy! Thanks for sharing that one with us. Looks like I'll have to dust off the camera and try and do a SBS on that pinky/gorrie!!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Eish, very lekker Deewy! Thanks for sharing that one with us. Looks like I'll have to dust off the camera and try and do a SBS on that pinky/gorrie!!
    mosselwurm would be better

I have not started playing with that idea yet, can kick myself
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    mosselwurm would be better
    Hee hee. Well I'm about 75% there. Just got to "smooth" out a few problems!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

will defenitly work for the leeries. I have found that white and chartreuse, and plain white flies work the best for leeries. I love your work!!

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    will defenitly work for the leeries. I have found that white and chartreuse, and plain white flies work the best for leeries. I love your work!!

Thanx Christo

We know verywell that Chartreuse work on the leeries, we have caught more fish with these colours than is neccisary to prove that it works. What we are now trying to do is start using new and differnt paterns for them. Fishing with clousers is almost like fishing with a BLOB now for us , they just dont leave it alone. These flies are big, atleast 10 - 12cm long. The bigger the better they can see the damn thing. We are not planning on using them in the estuaries, these boys are for surf conditions and they have to flash and have a big profile in the foamy water.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

HI Deewy,

Would you be fishing these on an intermediate or sinking line as a subsurface fly as i notice no weighting has been used.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

when fishing the surf its MUCH easier fishing with a intermediate or a sinker than a floating line. the sinking lines get trough the surf easier and do not get washed around so much. We are going to have to experiment with them first to see what they like.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast