Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

I was on the Weskuus on a project for 8 months...the novelty of freshly caught crayfish quickly wore off...

Give me a pint of lager and piece of Kudu Biltong and I am happy...

If you ever want top kudu Billies...Lood se Slaghuis in Phalaborwa. I am actually going to ask my folks to send me some....costs about R150 p/kg. I bought some the other day in Fourways...R260 p/kg ....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Lekker! It's not something well liked but I occasionally get the urge for bokkems too. When checking kreef traps we'd often leave the kreef in the trap to attract octopus. Can't beat a chilled salad with little bits of home pickled ockie in olive oil and lemon juice with oregano and thyme. Cold roast fennel on the side with aioli dressing - Drooollllll......

Still beats me what people are prepared to pay for bait.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Boots Chemist in the UK used to make a brilliant 'Best Bitter' just-add-water type kit..was wonderful stuff but I also had one lot go 'Bang' on me - in my flat. Luckily I had no Swambo the so I left home until the sticky stuff (dried ale..) congealed on the floor so I would'nt get my shoes dirty...

Stop all this talk about mulled ales, kreef and the like before the rest of us have had a decent meal and grog...most unfair!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Now is the time to put together a great winter cook up. Summer is too hot in SA for the traditional Christmas dinner so we used to do a Midmas dinner each year. Basically an excuse to pig out on game pies, roasts, turkey, hams, curries, gluhwein, rich soups and stews and all the other stuff normally eaten across the other side of the tracks over Christmas.

We'd nominate a place and everyone would roll up with something they'd done so it was a huge blow out. Father Midmas would rock up at some stage and all gifts went into a grab bag with earlier secret nomination of recipients handed randomly to the intended giver. Price was limited to under ten rand so a little inventiveness was in order. I can see some great flies being tied as gifts if you folks can arrange one in time while it's still cold in SA.

Off to the kangene tomorrow so unable to play along but it's one of the things I stopped doing for some reason and miss every year as the cold season kicks in. Reckon Nicholas could come up with some great goodies.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Now is the time to put together a great winter cook up. Summer is too hot in SA for the traditional Christmas dinner so we used to do a Midmas dinner each year. Basically an excuse to pig out on game pies, roasts, turkey, hams, curries, gluhwein, rich soups and stews and all the other stuff normally eaten across the other side of the tracks over Christmas.

We'd nominate a place and everyone would roll up with something they'd done so it was a huge blow out. Father Midmas would rock up at some stage and all gifts went into a grab bag with earlier secret nomination of recipients handed randomly to the intended giver. Price was limited to under ten rand so a little inventiveness was in order. I can see some great flies being tied as gifts if you folks can arrange one in time while it's still cold in SA.

Off to the kangene tomorrow so unable to play along but it's one of the things I stopped doing for some reason and miss every year as the cold season kicks in. Reckon Nicholas could come up with some great goodies.

Great Stuff, chefs use to organise Xmas bash in the summer as we all had to work at Xmas,so we use to have our staff parties in June, a good dish is Turducken or Russian doll roast (many names for it) but heres a great story from the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...as-dinner.html check out the picture of all the birds that go into this dish,this dish goes back four hundred years and has recently made a come back,another great midmas dish is Roast goose, with roasted duck fat potatoes. A lot of hotels run a Xmas in July dinner but unfortunately its a very poor gimmick.
    Last edited by nicholas; 30-06-08 at 06:29 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Great Stuff, chefs use to organise Xmas bash in the summer as we all had to work at Xmas,so we use to have our staff parties in June, a good dish is Turducken or Russian doll roast (many names for it) but heres a great story from the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...as-dinner.html check out the picture of all the birds that go into this dish,this dish goes back four hundred years and has recently made a come back,another great midmas dish is Roast goose, with roasted duck fat potatoes. A lot of hotels run a Xmas in July dinner but unfortunately its a very poor gimmick.
    Thought of brewing my own beer, then its xmas for me everyday. Maybe should start googling on home beer brewing.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Dave: Check PMs.

Duck grease roast potatoes - Now yer talkin'! No reason the Midmas thing can't be done. It's a good excuse to hit the richer hot dishes we avoid when it's 34 deg C outside.

The game pie lust has now descended on one. Bugger!

Duck grease roast potatoes - Now yer talkin'! No reason the Midmas thing can't be done. It's a good excuse to hit the richer hot dishes we avoid when it's 34 deg C outside.

Will do, game pie is a stern favourite of mine and gets made very often.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

When i worked in France the Holy grails of the kitchen was Goose fat,duck fat and Clarified Echire butter,
    Non of that fat free arty farty,namby pamby echo warrier airy fairy fat free tree hugging sh1t they use today.....oh how i miss real food.......at least i can still cook it at home and for friends. IF you are ever in the Cape i rustle up some duck or goose fat potatoes with a nice rustic Rabbit Pie.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Myself and a few other business unsophisticats around August enjoy a Mid-Winter traditional English Christmas dinner. No, not Lamb Korma or Chicken Tikka, but as much bird fat, bread sauce and roast tatties that we can endure.
    A Forum one wouldn't be a bad idea down on the Vaal, and non-Engels could bring their own special Christmas/other festival food along? And wives/girl-boyfriends/family of course?

Maybe we could fly Nick up to judge the cook-off, with the winner having to have a penalty shoot-out with Floyd and a bottle of Dimple Haig?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast