Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Default Beer

Article in the July issue of Maverick Magazine re Gil and his urine up spot. New brewery hopefully opening in early August with plenty of opening parties until we get gatvol of having them. Five minutes from Kloofzicht and ten minutes from Footloose for those intending to frighten a fish or two before propping up the bar for the rest of the afternoon.

Got a good mulled ale recipe I'll post later.

"Maverick?" I hear you ask... Apparently some kind of suit/management/metrosexual magazine for whatever they're replacing yuppies with. Gil mentioned the article and I thought I'd have a look. Got no idea what the rest of the mag contains.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Article in the July issue of Maverick Magazine re Gil and his urine up spot. New brewery hopefully opening in early August with plenty of opening parties until we get gatvol of having them. Five minutes from Kloofzicht and ten minutes from Footloose for those intending to frighten a fish or two before propping up the bar for the rest of the afternoon.

"Maverick?" I hear you ask... Apparently some kind of suit/management/metrosexual magazine for whatever they're replacing yuppies with. Gil mentioned the article and I thought I'd have a look. Got no idea what the rest of the mag contains.
    at last a thread close to my heart sounds very interesting.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Superb!!!

Must bring my wife and daughter round to re-introduce themselves to Mrs. Gil as well!!!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Mulled Ale

2 litres (4 pints) of Traditional Red Irish Ale

2/3 cup of brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Pinch of nutmeg

Cinnamon stick

Thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger

6 cloves, crushed

Tablespoon of ground ginger

Tablespoon of ground cinnamon

Juice of 1 lemon

Juice of 1 orange

Rind of lemon and orange for added flavour.

Double tot of dark rum

Chuck the lot into a large saucepan (except for the rum which is added just before serving) and bring to a simmer. Turn down heat, add rum and serve immediately in mugs, pouring through a tea strainer to filter out the crunchy bits. Substitute red wine for the ale to make gluhwein but be warned the impostor is no match for a really good mulled ale on a cold winter night. Add two aspirin to a mug full and a couple of good spoons full of honey in place of the brown sugar for a pretty decent hot toddy to be consumed by those suffering from the winter lurgi just before hitting the scratcher.
    Last edited by Lardbeast; 29-06-08 at 10:42 AM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

HI Lardbeast,

Still waiting for your recipe post. Whats up. Surely you got more.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Mulled Ale

2 litres (4 pints) of Traditional Red Irish Ale

2/3 cup of brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Pinch of nutmeg

Cinnamon stick

Thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger

6 cloves, crushed

Tablespoon of ground ginger

Tablespoon of ground cinnamon

Juice of 1 lemon

Juice of 1 orange

Rind of lemon and orange for added flavour.

Double tot of dark rum

Chuck the lot into a large saucepan (except for the rum which is added just before serving) and bring to a simmer. Turn down heat, add rum and serve immediately in mugs, pouring through a tea strainer to filter out the crunchy bits. Substitute red wine for the ale to make gluhwein but be warned the impostor is no match for a really good mulled ale on a cold winter night. Add two aspirin to a mug full and a couple of good spoons full of honey in place of the brown sugar for a pretty decent hot toddy to be consumed by those suffering from the winter lurgi just before hitting the scratcher.
    Yum Yum. Ooooh yes please, smashing stuff Lardo. I think I might reduce the ullage when dispencing said dark rum!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Is it illegal to brew small amounts of beer?
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

A single tot for two litres is fine. I normally use a double measure for five litres of mulled ale. Red heart seems to give a better flavour but haven't yet tried it with Stroh. Wouldn't even use that Comrade Moerseun stuff to set fire to
    Mugabe. Absolute bloody dreck.

Add the rum just before serving for the maximum amount of flavour.

Even better if done in conjunction with a feuerzangbolle and a litre of Stroh over a 20 litre cauldron I reckon. Only done it with gluhwein but if it's any measure, the mulled ale will be a vast improvement. Of course we also have to get by the mindset of those genii who refuse to even try it as they just instinctively "know" it won't taste good. They walk among us.....

Quote Originally Posted by Benja View Post
    Is it illegal to brew small amounts of beer?
    Nope. Selling the stuff without a licence from "Customs and Excise" could be troublesome.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

A single tot for two litres is fine. I normally use a double measure for five litres of mulled ale. Red heart seems to give a better flavour but haven't yet tried it with Stroh. Wouldn't even use that Comrade Moerseun stuff to set fire to
    Mugabe. Absolute bloody dreck.

Add the rum just before serving for the maximum amount of flavour.

Even better if done in conjunction with a feuerzangbolle and a litre of Stroh over a 20 litre cauldron I reckon. Only done it with gluhwein but if it's any measure, the mulled ale will be a vast improvement. Of course we also have to get by the mindset of those genii who refuse to even try it as they just instinctively "know" it won't taste good. They walk among us.....
    I knew you had more. Just needed back-up to get you to respond.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast