Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mozambique Inhaca

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Pity about no proper pic of the Dorado, but they're just too dangerous to get onto the boat for a pic if you don't want to gaff them.

A couple of days before we went on the charter, 2 fly-fishermen landed over 40 fish between them casting to the surface activity from the boat.

From the pic below, you can see how that kinda day can happen.
    Hey there, thanks for the awesome pics and information. Was wondering what your thoughts are on the safety of paddling a fishing kayak in this area - was the ocean very rough, and would it be possible to use the ski in the lagoon area? Would appreciate your opinion in this regard?
    Cheers, beefy

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    would it be possible to use the ski in the lagoon area?
    Hi Beefy, inside the bay the water was flat and looked very easy to paddle on a ski, even for a novice/child. In the areas near the channel, the water moves proper quickly when the tide is going out, so you'd need to be intelligent in your timing.

I wished for a ski. In my opinion the best use of it would be to paddle into the channel at full low tide, anchor in the water about 50m off the southern shore (about 15m deep) and fish the steep dropoff on the slack tide and then as it starts to rise (which pushes you towards the bay where its safe.)

Paddling a ski into the open ocean looked like it was only for the brave and strong, but if you can get past the backline at an SA beach you'd probably be fine. Again, timing the tides would make life much easier.

I would also use the ski to move around the flats and mangroves and see if you can find bonefish etc. Water clarity is better around neap tides.

Thanks for the reply....think this spot has officially gone on my 'Return to SA' bucketlist that is expanding pretty quickly at the moment!!!

Here is an old map of LM and the bay with all the banks etc. Not much has changed over the years. Might find it handy in looking for shallows. I'm planning a trip, hence the maps to see possible places for fishing (reefs etc)
    Last edited by Corumana; 12-01-12 at 10:52 AM.
    Jaco v Deventer

Hi

i go to inhaca almaost every year. have a friend who has a house and 31ft boat on the island. we normally only throw plugs and fly. if you look at the map we fish the cockburn bank and the surounding areas. plenty queens and yellowspots. the fishing there is often unstoppable with 3 queens chsing flies and plugs at once. one thing i do notice is that you have to have th exact co ordinates of the reefs. if you miss them by 20m you will get nothing. in my opion santa maria has been klapped by the spear fisherman. dont get me wrong, there are still good fish there but you have to work alot harder than you used to.

if you interested have alook at my galeries fore some of the fish there.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by swrali001 View Post
    if you interested have alook at my galeries fore some of the fish there.
    cant find them?

Me and a few mates want to arrange a trip down to Santa Maria sometime, but the place Circus stayed at is a bit out of our league. any other suggestions? cheaper campsites maybe?

Would it be worth while to fish just off the side, I guess a boat is best. But would it be a total waste?

Thanks,

Konrad
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 13-01-12 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks a lot for the information. I will definately go and try. I believe there is an old shipwreck (visible) on the norther shore of Inhaca too. Might be a place of interrest too.
    Jaco v Deventer

Konrad

I did a trip to Bilene in December for one day. To lazy to tow a boat with (from Maputo) I was very dissapointed. The fish was there but I just couldn't get to them. Bilene's estuary is 3km wide, I made it up to 1km in the shalows and turned back, still a good 1km short of the fish. I will definately take a boat next time. I am not much clued up with Inhaca, but it might be safe to just get more information.
    Jaco v Deventer

Sorry have a look in the main fly talk gallery and just search queenfish.

If you want to fish from the side, the best place is definitely santa maria. The wreck on the the northern point is also vey good. we usually go up there in a bakkie and throw plugs in the evening. some nice fish there.

in short. obviously best to have a boat. if you dont, santa maria is the best. not sure if there are cheaper places to stay there. there are places around the main hotel but shore based fishing is very limited from there and i would not rcommend it.

hope this helps

to answer your question, i would not go to inhaca without a boat. IMHO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast