Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jacobs GRHE variation - Step-by-Step

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Hey Tjomma jy sal net weet as jy 'n lyn in die water het! Het daai Olifants nie bietjie die vis laat vrek nie? Ekt gehoor daar was 'n major spil gewees?

Geniet jou vakansie!

Cheers

Koos
    Hi Koos,

Die stukkie wat ek van die olifants sien is gewoontlik leeg al is daar nie 'n spil nie. Daar gebeur net gewoontlik iets as die dam oorloop.

Back to the fly, has anyone else fished this pattern before in any other way than tied below an indicator? That's the only way I have fished it yet, and so I am interested in other effective techniques.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Top fly PTN, I'd use that with confidence. It's actually very similar to some of my own flies. Can't beat hares fur.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Default Fishing GRHE

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Hi Koos,

Die stukkie wat ek van die olifants sien is gewoontlik leeg al is daar nie 'n spil nie. Daar gebeur net gewoontlik iets as die dam oorloop.

Back to the fly, has anyone else fished this pattern before in any other way than tied below an indicator? That's the only way I have fished it yet, and so I am interested in other effective techniques.

Kind regards,
    PTN
    PTN,

I have fished this fly alone 2 Nov 2007 (2 days before our son was born - almost missed it due to my fishing trip), Mavungana waters near Dullstroom - it was windy and a severe storm was moving in. Landed my largest trout to date, 3,4kg (our son weighed in at 3,5kg ). Fished it on a VERY slow retrieve in deep water, almost vertically rising - the take was brutal. Not the best pic as I was alone and forgot where the sun was when quickly setting up the camera on time-delay - but have a look at my pic gallery.

I have also had success with many smallies in the Vaal fishing a GRHE (normally dark olive) as the point fly New-Zealand style.

Coincidentally I am going to tie some GRHE the next week as we are heading to Sterkies end of the month - we are staying and fishing with Dave Weaver.

Nice fly PTN.

I have also heard that this, with a red wire rib (e.g. Ultra Wire / Hot Wire) is deadly for them Sterkies yellows...

FlyFanatic Banned User

well i fished sterkies last week when we were on holiday in the Drakensberg, and threw a very close resembling GRHE to some monster smallies (4 - 5, maybe 6kg??) that were cruising near the shore.. got the hardest bat of my life!! not even a woman has given me such a reject..

no matter what i threw at them (and i tried EVERYTHING, elk hair caddis with nymph dropper with at least 45cm between dry and dropper, foam beetles, red eyed damsels, every nymph i had in every size i had #10 - 16), they would just keep swimming on, sometimes turning to look at the fly, and then just cruising on..

i swear i saw one of them throw me a zap on his way past.. gmmf!!

very nice fly nonetheless!!

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Thanks for the info and comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Coincidentally I am going to tie some GRHE the next week as we are heading to Sterkies end of the month - we are staying and fishing with Dave Weaver.
    Oh so lucky...take me along!! I still get flashbacks from my last trip and it was more than a year ago. I hope to return some time this year.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Very good.
    A fly that will work every where.
    Another variation, is to take some fluoro orange thread, and tie a hotspot directly behind the bead.
    It will add variation to the fly and probaly another 300% more fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hallo PTN

Mooi SBS daar, jou vlieg bind kom mooi aan.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

I've fished a similar fly but more a grey colour along with a dream caddis NZ style (GRHE at end) in the deeper pools of the vaal with much succes in August, October just after the winter last year. GRHE remain a deadly fly for any yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    well i fished sterkies last week when we were on holiday in the Drakensberg, and threw a very close resembling GRHE to some monster smallies (4 - 5, maybe 6kg??) that were cruising near the shore.. got the hardest bat of my life!! not even a woman has given me such a reject..

no matter what i threw at them (and i tried EVERYTHING, elk hair caddis with nymph dropper with at least 45cm between dry and dropper, foam beetles, red eyed damsels, every nymph i had in every size i had #10 - 16), they would just keep swimming on, sometimes turning to look at the fly, and then just cruising on..

i swear i saw one of them throw me a zap on his way past.. gmmf!!

very nice fly nonetheless!!
    A #16 DDD, good camouflage, and a LOT of patience is required in those situations. But the rewards will come eventually.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.