Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Jacobs GRHE variation - Step-by-Step

FlyFanatic Banned User

GrahamS, just weird was that they seemed to be totally ignoring me, its not like they were spooked in any way. I was well camouflaged against the rocky backdrop, so that wasnt the problem, some HUGE fish swam within couple of feet from where i was standing, only spooked by sloppy casting..

Its like the worst nightmare any yellowfisherman could ever have!!!

My guess would be, something in the weather wasnt right, maybe too hot water temp, storm that changed the air pressure, or something else that put them off the bite.. cuz it certainly wasnt fly selection

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    GrahamS, just weird was that they seemed to be totally ignoring me, its not like they were spooked in any way. I was well camouflaged against the rocky backdrop, so that wasnt the problem, some HUGE fish swam within couple of feet from where i was standing, only spooked by sloppy casting..

Its like the worst nightmare any yellowfisherman could ever have!!!

My guess would be, something in the weather wasnt right, maybe too hot water temp, storm that changed the air pressure, or something else that put them off the bite.. cuz it certainly wasnt fly selection
    I found that often they will have seen you (long before you see them), but they will not visibly spook. But they certainly stop feeding.

When I sat still and rested the water for 10 minutes or so, my first cast would usually result in a take from visible fish. Took me 3 days to figure this out...
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

FlyFanatic Banned User

DAMN!! And ur telling me this now??

MUST STOP MYSELF FROM GOING BACK RIGHT NOW...

Thanx for the tip, will certainly remember that when next i have the chance to fish sterkies.. with this excellent GRHE pattern!!

P.S. My apologies for hijacking the thread.. i just needed to know what went wrong..

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I found that often they will have seen you (long before you see them), but they will not visibly spook. But they certainly stop feeding.

When I sat still and rested the water for 10 minutes or so, my first cast would usually result in a take from visible fish. Took me 3 days to figure this out...
    I think I can explain this phenomenon, from what I learned when I caught fish on this fly for the first time. It's called pheromones.

Apparently, yellowfish discharge pheromones into the water when they are alarmed. If you keep flogging the water, the yellows, already cautious(and not feeding) because of the pheromones, keep discharging their own pheromones and you catch nothing.

When you just sit down and leave the fish, the pheromones dissipate and are carried away by water currents. Soon the yellows are ready to feed again.

That's how they explained it to me. I hope it makes sense.

Kind regards,
    PTN

FlyFanatic Banned User

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!! now it all makes sense!!

well, I probably learned the most valuable lesson ever from you two today!! thanx a mil!!

next time fishies.. next time you wont be so lucky!! muhahahaha!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.